Super-sized Flagtail snacking on Gar slime (video)

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Lol check out this huge Flagtail at one of my LFS slurping on this (Florida?) Gar like there's no tomorrow. As stated in the video he's a good 14". The (non-slupring) yellow fin FT is even bigger, closer to 15".

Best viewed in HD:

The poor Gar was actually being pretty 'jai yen' (cool hearted) about it -- I suspect if it wanted and with those teeth it could do some serious damage to even a bigger Flagtail -- but he seemed pretty easygoing about it (at least for now).

Awesome fish but you do have to be careful about their insatiable appetites -- after they clean out all your algae they might likely feel the need to start 'cleaning' the slime off other fish, especially rays (and apparently Gars are especially tasty too).

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Looks like a spotted gar not positively sure.
Yeah after some online research before uploading the video I was wondering if it could be a Spotted, but it seems they're not nearly as common as Floridas, so just guessed it was the latter. Might even be a hybrid of the two I was also thinking.

Reactions: tlindsey

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Barret my man i need this flagtail. Its frickin huge.
Ha ha yeah it is Tobias -- not sure but I can ask the shop for you if they are prepared/able to send fish overseas. I'll bet the fish itself isn't expensive but not sure about shipping charges/customs stuff, and also if they can export fish.

Reactions: Matteus

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Ha ha yeah it is Tobias -- not sure but I can ask the shop for you if they are prepared/able to send fish overseas. I'll bet the fish itself isn't expensive but not sure about shipping charges/customs stuff, and also if they can export fish.
Please do barret. Its would be amazing to be able to buy fish for your prices overseas.

Reactions: Matteus

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Please do barret. Its would be amazing to be able to buy fish for your prices overseas.
Hey Tobias, the shop just replied to my message, unfortunately they cannot ship overseas (I'd guess because they don't have a proper export license). Sorry about that, but next trip up to BKK I'll check and see if anyone has nice, larger-sized Flagtails at Chatuchak. I'm going up in a couple of days for a program with a Google group, if time I'll swing by the market.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store