Supplementing with Spirulina

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
The benefits of spirulina in fish food are of course well documented, and quite a few fish foods include it in their ingredients. However with the exception of perhaps a few top brands (which I don't have easy access to), both the quantity and quality of spirulina used in most fish foods is questionable (if not sometimes laughable).

With these thoughts in mind, I'd like to supplement my fishes' diets (like maybe once or twice a week) with some 100% spirulina that I have in both liquid and powder forms -- and I'm seeking ideas on how to do this -- short of grinding up pellets, mixing in the spirulina, etc. and preparing my own fish food. I'd guess this would be the most effective way but I really don't have time or desire to go that route unless no other decent choice.

I tried soaking pellets in the liquid spirulina but it's kind of thick and doesn't seem to be absorbed easily by the pellets, even after longer soaks. It coats the outside pretty good, but as soon as you throw the pellets in the water most of it seems to get washed away. I suspect if I soaked thawed frozen food like shrimp or fish in it this would be somewhat easier, I might try this tonite, but still think most of the spirulina would wash off upon contact with tank water.

With the powder I really can't think of anything except gut-feeding super worms on it, but so far I haven't introduced super worms to either of my Aros and am a bit hesitant to do so due to worry they might get addicted to those and stop eating pellets.

So if anyone has any other decent ideas on how to use these products reasonably effectively it'd be appreciated if you shared them.

Also, I wonder how long that 'Fresh' liquid spirulina remains fresh after opening the bottle -- could it go 'bad' and if so would refrigeration help? The (Thai) instructions/info on each unit is quite limited. and doesn't mention about this.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Inject the liquid into shrimp? I would not feed superworms etc, be careful what you wish for sort of thing. lol

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Inject the liquid into shrimp? I would not feed superworms etc, be careful what you wish for sort of thing. lol
Dang that's a great idea, didn't even cross my mind lol, Thx Neil.

Also yeah I don't really want to get into super worms either, too much trouble to keep and while maybe ok as now and then snack, Aro could get addicted to them (like crickets) pretty easily so not worth the chance. Then of course there's the issue of too much fat and likely link to drop-eye -- boss at LFS has a stunning Super Red in a large, low-stocked tank. Far as I can see a majority of its diet is SW. It's as thick as well a grown Dachsund and has drop-eye on one side. Not sure if the SW caused it but wouldn't doubt it.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Yeah, one of my friends aro got hooked on superworms, and it took him months & months to get it back to accepting anything but. I have nothing against feeding them nutrition wise, but they can be like crack to a fish.

Reactions: islandguy11

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
And as I recall, spirulina mixes do best under long term storage if kept refrigerated. Unless it's preserved with EQ. lol

• Haha

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I used to use zoo med flakes mashed into tilapia or shrimp.... spirulina flake meatballs. It actually worked pretty well.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Barrett isn't asking about different spirulina foods. LOL He lives in Thailand.

If he was, IMO NLS AlgaeMax is by far the best aquatic based algae formula currently on the market - by a long shot. But he can't get those there either. :)

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
Barrett isn't asking about different spirulina foods. LOL He lives in Thailand.

If he was, IMO NLS AlgaeMax is by far the best aquatic based algae formula currently on the market - by a long shot. But he can't get those there either. :)
Thanks..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store