Surfside Condo Collapse

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Well I certainly believe everyone has the right to risk their own life.

Some people do sign work contracts that say that they can’t ride a motorcycle or go scuba diving or do anything that might be considered dangerous because it would compromise the company as a whole.

But the city has a right to condemn a building and keep people out of it if it’s dangerous.

You can imagine that the whole place has water & sewage from broken pipes and ripped electrical wires everywhere. Even if the power & water is all off, there are going to be hazardous conditions everywhere.

Plus the structure had moved over 18 inches in the week after the collapse. It was gradually tipping in to the rubble that was still pulling it down to the ground with hundreds of conduits, pipes and wires.

I am totally surprised that it remained standing at all, considering the enormous pressure trying to pull it down as the middle of the building collapsed.

While dozens of people were rescued from the portion of the tower that remained standing, I believe no one survived on the collapsed side of the building.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Well I certainly believe everyone has the right to risk their own life.

Some people do sign work contracts that say that they can’t ride a motorcycle or go scuba diving or do anything that might be considered dangerous because it would compromise the company as a whole.

But the city has a right to condemn a building and keep people out of it if it’s dangerous.

You can imagine that the whole place has water & sewage from broken pipes and ripped electrical wires everywhere. Even if the power & water is all off, there are going to be hazardous conditions everywhere.

Plus the structure had moved over 18 inches in the week after the collapse. It was gradually tipping in to the rubble that was still pulling it down to the ground with hundreds of conduits, pipes and wires.

I am totally surprised that it remained standing at all, considering the enormous pressure trying to pull it down as the middle of the building collapsed.

While dozens of people were rescued from the portion of the tower that remained standing, I believe no one survived on the collapsed side of the building.
So,how far inside of the building did the crews go in order for them to set the charges to bring it all down?

Potato Patatto

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2020
The argument against letting people back in was that the safety/demolition crew would have to go do another building inspection/sweep risking their lives. Then if a resident got hurt in the building they would have to risk their lives again for a rescue. Now apparently people left pets in the buildings? Idk if that means dogs/cats or like fish/reptiles but I’d think you’d grab your dog before you left the building knowing you probably won’t get back in or the mere fact the rest of it could collapse at any moment. Supposedly the demolition crew checked for pets etc but idk how many levels that entails and if it means actually checking rooms individually.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
So,how far inside of the building did the crews go in order for them to set the charges to bring it all down?
There really wasn’t much left to the inside and I think only three bays of columns remained. From what I could see of the explosions through the windows, they took out all of the interior columns on several levels.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store