Swamp Darters... Anyone keep em?

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
As the title suggests, I'm curious to see if anyone has kept these native fish and what they are like to keep. My LFS just got some recently and I'm half tempted to get them but I know literally nothing about these lil guys. Any and all info is welcome. Also is $6 a reasonable price for em at 2-2.5in?

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
I've keep them, I catch them quite often, $6 is reasonable, they eat live foods like baby brine shrimp or black worms but will go to frozen baby brine shrimp quite easily. They do well in very warm water but probably need a winter cool down to breed.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I only have kept Greenside and Rainbow Darters. The Swamp Darter probably would be easier to maintain because they can thrive in warmer water than the Darters here in Ohio. Darters are very fascinating to watch.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
I've keep them, I catch them quite often, $6 is reasonable, they eat live foods like baby brine shrimp or black worms but will go to frozen baby brine shrimp quite easily. They do well in very warm water but probably need a winter cool down to breed.
How big do they get over all and how is their temperament is on average? Are they good to breed along side other fish species or would they be better off kept by themselves?

Reactions: tlindsey

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
They get to be less than 3" they seldom mess with other fish, breeding is more cryptic but they would eat the fry of other fish like candy i am sure.
Well that's not so bad. Sounds like they would be perfect size for my planted 55g. I would just need to move the mollies out into their own breeding tank, need to do that anyways.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store