Swelled mouth of bay snook

Denis Dorokhov

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2016
Hi to all monster fish lovers.

I have a problem with my bay snook (petenia splendida), left side of his mouth swelled yesterday and I'm not sure what it can be. Please find the photos attached. There is no wound there, it's just swelled. My aquarium is 450 liters with 1x jaguar cichlid, 1x bay snook, 2x oscars and 1x pleco. Water tests are 0 for ammonia and nitrite, nitrate is 30. I do 50% water changes once a week, on the water change day nitrate is near 40. The only thing which changed recently is temperature which went up to 30 celsius degrees in the tank (this summer in Munich is very hot). Before summer it is 26 celsius degrees. The snook is sometimes aggressive to the others, but the swelling doesn't look for me as a fight consequence. The bay snook is hungry as usual, the only unusual thing is he sometimes shakes his head. And I would say he is less aggressive this month, but it can be because I separated him with a big piece of drift wood from the oscars. Other fishes are also good. I have a hospital tank, but I don't have an idea with what I should treat it. I did a 50% water change today (today is Thursday, last one was on Sunday), also changed carbon, just monitoring so far.

Thank you in advance for your advices!

2017-06-22 07.39.41.jpg

2017-06-22 07.55.47.jpg

2017-06-22 09.09.20.jpg

new.jpg

another.jpg

heavy metal fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2017
Hi to all monster fish lovers.

I have a problem with my bay snook (petenia splendida), left side of his mouth swelled yesterday and I'm not sure what it can be. Please find the photos attached. There is no wound there, it's just swelled. My aquarium is 450 liters with 1x jaguar cichlid, 1x bay snook, 2x oscars and 1x pleco. Water tests are 0 for ammonia and nitrite, nitrate is 30. I do 50% water changes once a week, on the water change day nitrate is near 40. The only thing which changed recently is temperature which went up to 30 celsius degrees in the tank (this summer in Munich is very hot). Before summer it is 26 celsius degrees. The snook is sometimes aggressive to the others, but the swelling doesn't look for me as a fight consequence. The bay snook is hungry as usual, the only unusual thing is he sometimes shakes his head. And I would say he is less aggressive this month, but it can be because I separated him with a big piece of drift wood from the oscars. Other fishes are also good. I have a hospital tank, but I don't have an idea with what I should treat it. I did a 50% water change today (today is Thursday, last one was on Sunday), also changed carbon, just monitoring so far.

Thank you in advance for your advices!

View attachment 1259467

View attachment 1259468

View attachment 1259469

View attachment 1259471

View attachment 1259472
From the looks i see ,that may of been corse from a fight with some thing in your tank ,sence all your water parameters are good.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
I would guess due to a fight as well. Start with clean water and some salt. Most likely will heal on its own though watch for secondary problems

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store