Swim bladder disorder in puffer

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
i noticed yesterday my C.irrubesco was laying on the bottom of my tank belly up but still breathing fine...

At first i thought it may have gulped air so kept it in a floater box while i waited to see if it sorted itself out, which it did not...

Fast forward 24hrs, the fish is still sitting upside but breathing normally...

So my question is, considering there isn’t really a cure for this problem and im not 100% sure if its from IPs (since at the store this was the only one that made it through quarantine and deworming)...

How much longer should i wait before i euthanize the fish or should i try and deworm in hopes of maybe saving it???

Tank parameters pretty much register 0 - 0.5ppm across the board being a heavily planted tank...

Temps stay at between 24-25’C with heater and chiller running simultaneously

Picure of the fish in a net from when i was inspecting it...
F763FBA8-263E-477D-8474-77E165F778C0.jpeg

Last edited:

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Would try a dewormer and add some Epsom salt with a lower water level to right itself up. If not better after the meds then u can consider euthanasia.

Reactions: Fat Homer

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Would try a dewormer and add some Epsom salt with a lower water level to right itself up. If not better after the meds then u can consider euthanasia.
Thanks kno4te kno4te , also sorry, i completely forgot to mention i gave him an epsom bath dip for 20mim before placing back in the tank today, since cant add salt to the planted tank...

If that doesnt work or seem to have any effect by tmr, i might setup a quarantine tank and try de-worming...

Reactions: kno4te
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store