Switching Bullhead Aquarium from Sand to Tiles.(Feeding Vid).

itrebebag99

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2017
Illinois
I'd be worried about scratching the glass taking the tiles in and out.
Legitimate worry, which is why I don't take the tiles in and out. When I put them in, I kind of carefully put them in at an angle so that they wouldn't scratch, or bang into the glass.

itrebebag99

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2017
Illinois
Well that's not good.
It is very common for people to tile an aquarium ,and I seriously doubt that these people take the tiles out every time they clean the aquarium. The amount of detritus is still much less than that trapped in sand or gravel, just more visible. But anyway I'm planning on figuring out a way to seal off all the cracks so that detritus doesn't get down in there.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Dennis Kraemer

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2018
Switched the substrate on my aquarium from pool filtration sand to ceramic floor tiles. Definitely makes cleaning easier, only problem is that some detritus will get under the tiles.
What did you do? And what size tank is that?

itrebebag99

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2017
Illinois
What did you do? And what size tank is that?
My catfish got ich a little while ago from feeder goldfish, so I took the tiles out to medicate more effectively. Anyway, while medicating, I noticed that the detritus problem was completely eliminated, so I just left them out. 40 gallon breeder to answer your question. I'd like to do bigger, but this is the best I can do with my resources currently.

Dennis Kraemer

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2018
86D1D499-7981-4F1F-B9B3-18F7293A1DCB.jpeg
My catfish got ich a little while ago from feeder goldfish, so I took the tiles out to medicate more effectively. Anyway, while medicating, I noticed that the detritus problem was completely eliminated, so I just left them out. 40 gallon breeder to answer your question. I'd like to do bigger, but this is the best I can do with my resources currently.
I’m about to put mine in a 75

itrebebag99

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2017
Illinois
View attachment 1329121
I’m about to put mine in a 75
Wow, the mottled color! Mine has some slight mottling, but nothing like that! And I raised several black bullhead babies up from 1.5 inches, and they all displayed varying shades from yellow to jet black, but none of them had that kind of contrast. Is that a locality thing? (Then again, the only adult black bullheads I have ever seen were the ones I owned; only seen baby blacks in the wild, and only catch yellows).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store