Switching Gravel for Sand

Narwhal

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2017
I have a tank with bright red gravel in with African Cichlids, and I would like to replace it with sand. Can I just replace the substrate or do I have to re-cycle the tank? Are the bio-loaded freshwater live sands (like https://www.amazon.com/Carib-Sea-Eco-Complete-Substrate-20-Pound/dp/B0002DH0X0) worth their higher price point? My other question, my water is roughly 7.5 pH so would getting an argonite buffer sand, take the pH up too fast for the fish in the tank?

Last edited:

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
You should just be able to replace the gravel with sand as long as the tank is mature or if you have no fish in the tank.

I've never used sand touted as having beneficial bacteria in it already.

Narwhal

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2017
So it is a slightly complicated issue, the tank has been set up (including décor/gravel) for 3-4 years. The filter however was replaced about a month ago, when I went from a HOB to a canister

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Did you use the same media from the HOB in the canister? Also, what size is the tank, how many fish are in it, what size filter are you and were you running, and what's your water change schedule like?

Reactions: jaws7777

Narwhal

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2017
The media is different, I do water changes ever few days, it is smaller about 35 gallons, the filter is a fluvial 206. it has had 2 roughly 6-7 inch catfish, and 2 4-5 inch cichlids for the past month.
I however am trying to use it to rear some smaller fish and move out the bigger fish into my bigger tank, I have 3 1.5-2 inch plecos, and 6 1.5-2 cichlids that I would like to put in their.

mr cichlid

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2017
I suggest pool filter sand. It is cheap and slightly heavier than normal sand so when fish move it around less ends in your filter. You can get at any hot tub or pool shop. Always give good rinse like any new addition

Narwhal

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2017
I use it in my big tank and like it a lot, its nice to spend a few bucks to fill a big tank, although I would like a darker sand color like a dark beige.

mr cichlid

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2017
i called many pool maintenance personal and found the sand cheaper at big chain store BUT one guy did have few different colors...brown, white and something i dont remember. i dont know where you live but if it isnt always summer there, in a couple months these guys get bombarded to do pool maintenance and you may get fortunate and find someone with color

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
The media is different, I do water changes ever few days, it is smaller about 35 gallons, the filter is a fluvial 206. it has had 2 roughly 6-7 inch catfish, and 2 4-5 inch cichlids for the past month.
I however am trying to use it to rear some smaller fish and move out the bigger fish into my bigger tank, I have 3 1.5-2 inch plecos, and 6 1.5-2 cichlids that I would like to put in their.
Can you post the current water tests for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

If you move the large fish out, change out the gravel for sand and add the smaller fish, just monitor for ammonia or nitrite spikes and perform water changes to keep those levels below zero. Don't clean the filter!

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
If the filters are not cycled you can dose with tetra safe start to speed things up. Ive used the product many times in the past. Then you can replace the substrate worry free.

If you use a dechlorinator such as prime or other like products you have to wait 24hrs then dose the safe start. Feed lightly and contiue testing your water. Should be reading 0 ammonia 0 nitrites amd some nitrates in about a week.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store