Switching Gravel ?

bpunisher18

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2006
Racine, WI
In the 1st tank we bought (a 55) we bought the gravel that was reccomended to us and its a really fine natural looking gravel but the problem is when I go to clean it and If I'm not paying attention I end up clogging the python. So what I was wondering if it would be harmful to switch over to a larger size gravel ? In our 75 and 90 we have larger gravel and I have no problem not clogging the python in fact I don't evevn have to pay attention to what I'm doing :D Oh yeah we have 2 small EBJDs in the tank started with 5 and I've noticed they act alot different than JDs seem to be more timid and don't want to lose these 2 guys

sour_girl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2006
Toronto
It shouldnt be a problem.... Do you have any pics of your set up?

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Ya didn't python up the other 3 EBJDs did you?:WHOA:

bpunisher18

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2006
Racine, WI
guppy said:
Ya didn't python up the other 3 EBJDs did you?:WHOA:
:ROFL: Nope I sure didn't they were really shy and didn't come out to eat much it would be my guess that they starved to death because when I took them back to the LFS with a sample of water the water turned out fine, and I still couldn't get store credit for the 2 that died because like a dumbass I threwe out the receipt, I never keep them since I've never had a fish die on me I didn't think to keep it , plus I didn't my wife to see tha I paid $70 a piece :naughty:

bpunisher18

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2006
Racine, WI
sour_girl said:
It shouldnt be a problem.... Do you have any pics of your set up?
A girl at the LFS said that it would be like starting over as far as having to cycle the tank again and I'm just not sure the EBJDs could handle that. I just did a water change yesterday and figure I will give it a shot at changing the gravel by the middle of this week and have my fingers crossed they make it.
Thanks for your input.

Oh as far as pics go I'll have to take some new pics although I'm afraid to post a pic of my setup since it is no where as cool as what I have see, but I tried :)

KJP

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2006
Cincinnati
First of all lfs workers rarely know anything...I'll tell you if you have good biological filtration in your filters you don't have to worry about it. But do it like i did it, and only take out no more than half the gravel at once then wait a week make sure your parameters are still fine and change out the other half. I had absolutely no spike at all!!!! :thumbsup:

gomezladdams

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
gilboa,ny
With a fish as delicate as young ebjd Id wait till they were older before doing anything like changing the gravel.Might freak them out.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
What kind of filtration do you have? if it is UGF then yes, it would be like starting the cycle over, if not it should not be a problem, You could also just add larger gravel and use your hand to lightly mix it in, the larger stuff tends to stay on top of the smaller

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store