Switching tanks advice

Bobby2415

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2019
I am going to be switching from my established 55 gallon tank to a new 90 gallon. I was just looking for advice on how to make this transition the easiest. I am planning on using the gravel that is in the 55. My biggest question is how much of the water from the 55 do I need to use to make sure I don’t mess up the tank cycle? I would prefer to not buy a bunch of buckets to store the water in while switching over. Will the gravel, filter media, and 10-15 gallons of water from the established tank be good enough? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
You literally can get rid of 100% of the water and use all brand new water and it will not hurt the cycle enough to affect (effect?) it. The majority of our good bacteria live on surfaces such as the filter media and the substrate you use if any. As long as you move the filters and gravel over you should be good.

Think about it like this, have you ever done a 90% water change or one around that number? If so, did the cycle crash? Likely not. You can do ten 90% water changes back to back and the cycle will not crash as the bacteria amount in the water is minuscule and not high enough to make a difference.

Also good luck with this move, hopefully you keep us updated about the inhabitants and the move itself.

Bobby2415

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2019
You literally can get rid of 100% of the water and use all brand new water and it will not hurt the cycle enough to affect (effect?) it. The majority of our good bacteria live on surfaces such as the filter media and the substrate you use if any. As long as you move the filters and gravel over you should be good.

Think about it like this, have you ever done a 90% water change or one around that number? If so, did the cycle crash? Likely not. You can do ten 90% water changes back to back and the cycle will not crash as the bacteria amount in the water is minuscule and not high enough to make a difference.

Also good luck with this move, hopefully you keep us updated about the inhabitants and the move itself.
Thanks, will do!

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I agree with fishhead0103666 fishhead0103666 . All i'll add is that in your excitement of setting up your new tank, don't forget your water conditioner!

Reactions: dr exum

Bobby2415

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2019
I agree with fishhead0103666 fishhead0103666 . All i'll add is that in your excitement of setting up your new tank, don't forget your water conditioner!
Thanks! Yah I always add conditioner and prime when adding new water.

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
My advise is go with the biggest tank you can afford and fit in your house to prevent multiple upgrades....I went from 75, 90 to 130... wish I had just done it once instead of the tank upgrades. adding tanks is easy, upgrades not so much

Reactions: Bobby2415

Bobby2415

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2019
My advise is go with the biggest tank you can afford and fit in your house to prevent multiple upgrades....I went from 75, 90 to 130... wish I had just done it once instead of the tank upgrades. adding tanks is easy, upgrades not so much
Unfortunately 90 is the biggest the wife will allow in the living room lol. When we finish the basement will be a different story though ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store