Table / Fish tank combination build.

jvhuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2007
Texas/Indiana
Dr Joe;960733; said:
You used silicone to hold the plexy together? Hhmmmm...Don't leave any of your stuff on the floor :D.

PIc updates!

Dr Joe

Was silicone the wrong stuff to use? It was the stuff meant for aquariums, but maybe just glass? The way it is built, the plexiglass is supported on every edge, top and bottom, by wood, so we are not worried about the glue not haveing enough strength to hold it together, it just needs to make a good seal.

Here is a pic of it with the plexiglass in. It is propped up on one end for the siphon, forgive all of the smudges and dirty apartment please:) .

Thanks

DSC02745.JPG

schaadrak

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 4, 2007
Uppinnia
I'm going to second the silicon on plexi opinions. They just don't stick together very well.

jvhuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2007
Texas/Indiana
What should we use? We work in the composits lab, so have some pretty crazy epoxies, but I doubt any would be safe for fish. Thanks for the help, everybody.

jvhuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2007
Texas/Indiana
We found the right glue and my roommate finished it all up this weekend. It turned out very nicely. He used sand for the substrate, with alot of flagstone rocks and quite a few small plants. The main fixture in the tank is a plastic F4-U Corsair (WW-II era carrier based fighter/ground attack plane) that he made to look like it had been shot down and crash landed, it has a pretty cool South Pacific feel to it. He added alot of bubblers (even one in the crashed airframe!), and put the canister filter and power strip in a small cabinet beneath the tank. We found that we had alot of condensation with the lid on, so we added a small desk fan to the top in the center which draws the air through the tank before it gets a chance to condense on the glass.

Now that it is full of water, I cannot move it at all, it is solid.

He added fish yesterday. In my opinion he added too many, but hopefully they all make it. The tank has plenty of filter power. The count right now is 3 small bala sharks, 8 giant danios, 6 zebra danios, and 2 small plecos. Even with all those fish the tank seems empty!

My computer is not wanting to recognize my memory card, or I would post some pics. Once I get it figured out, I'll put some up.

hayden

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2007
nc
whats the volume? those balas will get to big every thing else should be good for life

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store