Tachysurus dumerili (Leiocassis longirostris)

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
Tachysurus dumerili or previously known in the genus Leiocassis, Leiocassis longirostris

IMG_20210109_081645.jpg

IMG_20210109_081622.jpg

This guy was caught here (Malaysia) last week. Was caught using a fish trap in my local area, main river drainage. It was the first ever of its species recorded here, publicly. It was a surprise in the fishing community.

This is an alien species here, there are no public records of this fish here in farms or in the aquarium trade. I knew that this catfish are farmed in China but don't think it was brought in here intentionally. Due to their scarcity, I think it was mixed in with Black Carp (Mylopharyngodon piceus) seedlings. Both are farmed only in China. Plenty of Black Carp in the river but no T. dumerili? But it has been more than 10 years since Black Carp was brought in to river farms because they're not economical, very slow growth. But shipment of Black Carp do come & go but not that often, last time it was 2-3 years ago. Haven't had since.

IMG_20210113_110403.jpg

IMG_20210113_110347.jpg

The fish is around 26-27". But interestingly, it doesn't seems like a normal T. dumerili. It looks more like Hemiarius stormii, the head & the long body but it may be an aberrant specimen. What are the odds...

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Mighty unique on MFK indeed. I dont think this is your tank, GFK101, is it?

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
Mighty unique on MFK indeed. I dont think this is your tank, GFK101, is it?
It's mine, filled with barbs now. Starting to sell off my piraibas, too destructive for me. The peru have safely arrived in its new home, now left the suriname to be transported to the same owner. Its just, it got delayed due to recent lockdown in my country so it needs to wait at least 2-4 weeks before it can be transported again. The only catfish I'm keeping now are the Chinese Long Snout & the juruense. Seems like they're less trouble makers than the piraibas, also they're rarer even the juruense, it got unique pattern. Worth keeping them

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
Updates:

No photos or videos of the catfish this time. Just wanna report that he is hell. Imagine a catfish as active 24/7 as lince & mouthy as jau. He'll bite anything that came across his path. Yesterday i saw him chase the 30" jullien's carp. Yes, CHASE!

This is suriname piraiba with his bite marks.

IMG_20210121_081012.jpg

Most of the fish in that tank bear his bite marks. This is getting out of hand, need to get him at least 270g tank. I've seen a few other keepers keeping this species with other tankmates but never knew it was this aggressive in my care. Guess he's just a wild specimen. Once a bagrid, always a bagrid, I suppose.

Surprisingly nothing goes for the juruense tho, he's small but very aggressive. Ward off any fish that came close to him but he's a good boy, minding his own business. His caudal thread/filament still intact since I got him.

http://instagr.am/p/CJQ66EaJWHa/

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store