Tangled Up in Cichlids new ownership

Killduv

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Found this on the Tangled Up in Cichlids webpage. Interesting.
October 09, 2019

I have great news to share with anyone who has circled back to this page. Tangled Up In Cichlids has a new president/owner-operator! He is currently busy with administrative duties, building racks, etc. in a facility also located in New Jersey.

We will make it known when the business is up and running by providing a link from my site and as well as via social media outlets. He will roll out a new and user friendly web page at an appropriate time.

As soon as he is ready to begin ordering fish, I will be consulting him in all matters and placing him in contact with my international sources. He will be fully enabled to provide a similar array of species including (but not limited to) cichlids, catfish, characins, cyprinids, etc. from the same exclusive and knowledgeable sources with whom I continue to communicate.

If you care to share this information, please feel free to do so as I don't know how many viewers may see this update. There will be formal introductions, sharing of bio, and future contact information provided very soon.

Kindest regards, Jeff Rapps

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
There are actually a few threads about him closing a while back and at least one I believe said this update. Thank you for bringing it to the surface though so more people can see it.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I wonder if the new owner will be able to get wallace's shoehead catfish in. They got a similar species a few years ago in.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
New website just launched

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Technically, it's a new operation, with new owner and new facility, only the state location is the same. Is there information on where in New Jersey it is located.

Reactions: tlindsey

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Technically, it's a new operation, with new owner and new facility, only the state location is the same. Is there information on where in New Jersey it is located.
Kevin Cumberton opened the facilities 30 miles east of Jeff's original location. He has access to the same vendors as Jeff (it's all about contacts), so the state location is not the only thing that is the same. Jeff will still have a minor role in it. From Kevin, on Mo Devlin's FB page

Yes, it is true. I have taken over the operation of TUIC as the owner and operator.
Mo and I go back to the tankbusters . com days and have been friends for over 2 decades. Jeff and I as well go back to just after the beginning of TUIC. I was fortunate enough to live only a few miles away from Jeff and being friends I always had access to the hatchery. Quick web search(you know you did ?) you will see that for decades I have been working with cichlids. Almost, if not all, were from Jeff or one of his sources. Everything I've bred has always gone back to Jeff and many species you have purchased from him likely came from my personal collection.

Status of the hatchery.
Permits, waiting, zoning, wildlife permits, known cargo docs, waiting, legal contracts, yes more waiting etc etc etc.
I had to tear down and relocate Jeff's entire 10,000 gallon facility. We have relocated about 30miles east of the former location.
Yes, Jeff is retired. He no longer resides in NJ. Also yes, Jeff will have a minor roll in TUIC for a number of years. It is very minor. But let's say he actually has the fun part. He will even be here at the new facility to help out from time to time.
Jeff has introduced me to all of his vendors including his exclusive vendors to which I have been communicating with and I have reached out to a few new potentials on my own to help grow and have more available options for you all. Everything has been positive. Jeff and Kate are AMAZING people. Honestly, two of the best people to walk this planet. I talk with Jeff everyday. Sometimes more than once. Our relationship extends beyond fish and we are both super excited to relaunch. Almost all of Jeff's policies will remain. I have taken over all the accounts and even could have acquired his employee if I had chose.
What about the fish and stock list right? Today I spent 11hours in customs with over 50 boxes of fish. This was our second delivery of fish this week. We have 4 more just like it coming.
Once everything is in house, vetted and see what makes the cut we will relaunch the new website and stock list.
In the meantime we have a new facebook page already opened and we started an Instagram page. Like and follow!

We are SUPER excited to launch and I know the emails have been pouring in the last few weeks.
Am I Jeff.. No. However, I a believer of "dont fix what ain't broke" so I won't be changing much. Mostly just bringing things up to date. Customer service is what made Jeff. We will continue. I have him to lean on and advise. You wont be disappointed.
Days away! Stay tuned!

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Kevin Cumberton opened the facilities 30 miles east of Jeff's original location. He has access to the same vendors as Jeff (it's all about contacts), so the state location is not the only thing that is the same. Jeff will still have a minor role in it. From Kevin, on Mo Devlin's FB page
Thats a comforting update. Seems like not much is changing at all, maybe not even the zip code.

My biggest concern was that the new operation was just going to try and capitalize off of the tuic legacy and fanbase with a lesser quality operation. A lot remains to be seen, but based on this seems like it going in the right direction (to me at least).

Still though, i must remark that the new owner operator has lucked out in acquiring everything that goes along with inheriting the tuic name. Couldnt ask for a better start in the business than that.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I wonder how much it sold for.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store