Tank and fish rescue

Dustin0413

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2016
I'm a forum newbie here, but I've had aquariums for over ten years and want to share my current story:

The last few years my 125 gal SA cichlid tank has been at my buddies house/old roomate. I decided to leave it there after my wife and I bought a new house. He kept the tank for the last 4 years and oh boy am I glad I rescued it this last week. I was at his house, all original fish had died except a 5 year old jack Dempsey and some prolific convicts. The tank barely had any water in it and he said the filters hadn't been turned on for more than 6 months :surprise: the water was so black you couldn't see any fish, it looked Darker than coffee!!! Poor fish!!!

He wanted me to take tank back and I was more than happy to. I kept the jack and three convicts in a storage tub w/filter and spent the next eight hours transporting and setting up their new tank and aquiring new substrate. It's been about a week and the fish are doing great! :fish10:The ammonia and nitrite level dropped yesterday and I'm starting to see nitrates now so the tank is cycling just fine Just did a water change today and added an additional filstar L (xp3) canister today. I have big plans for this old but new tank, I will be installing 3D background in the near future, and ordering new LED fixtures as well. (The ones in the pictures are shop lights lol) the Cora life fixtures are bad
Until then here are some pictures:

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Welcome to the forum and great save.

Dustin0413

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2016
Damn some might have a heart attack on here people go crazy if everyone doesn't do weekly water changes haha. Great to see your old pales are a live
He NEVER did a water change in 4 years!!! Only added it

Freshwater4Life

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2015
VB
Lol not 4 years but I've had plenty of buddies go months without doing a water change. Definitley not cool but a lot of SA cichlids can live through some terrible conditions.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store