Tank Breeding Arowana

arowana6

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2012
In a Pond
Yellows All,

Just got a brand new tank cycling and thinking of breeding some Arowana for a change. I have heard that it is possible to breed Arowana's in a fish tank.

My Tank size is just over 4 feet.

Got T5 lighting, External Filtration and an Internal filter.

I would like to know how to Sex them and what else i would need to know on how to get them to breed.

Thanks

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
Your tank is way too small, for starters. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you can't even really house a single aro for life in a 4' tank.

arowana6

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2012
In a Pond
Easy now rwellbaum. I got a bigger tank coming. Just give me some good info and advice. I would like to start the Arowana in my 4 foot tank for now.

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
breeding aros need a large outdoor pond like they do in asia. might be wrong but i've seen some vids.

arowana6

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2012
In a Pond
Enough with the tank size! Tell me what size then in stead of just saying it. I'm here for advice not for big headed people!

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
Same goes to Mount prion.
You came seeking advice and the most glaring piece of advice that could be given has been, and from 3 different people. Sorry if the results of your query aren't what you want to hear.

I imagine you'll need an enclosure of a few thousand gallons to breed arowanas, on the low end of things.

The best you can do with a 4' is use it as a grow-out for the beginning of their lives.

Reactions: islandguy11

arowana6

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2012
In a Pond
breeding aros need a large outdoor pond like they do in asia. might be wrong but i've seen some vids.
Sorry but they dont need ponds always, ive seen people breeding them in tanks and have some info about it from a breeder in Singapore, but need to be sure. That's why i am here.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store