Tank Concept...

Epic Fabrications

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2007
Maryland
Probably wont be starting this project for another month or so, to be honest, but I am brain storming some concepts in the mean time. I would like to avoid using concrete because I am unsure of my capabilities with concrete and would like the tank, itself, to be movable as it will be conveniently located 6 ft away from Belco doors...

I am thinking for a stand I should stack 2-high, cinder blocks, and running....almost a minutature floor long ways to the tanks, using either 2x10's or if required (seeing as how 480 gallons weighs around 4000 lbs) 2x12's on 12" centers. The tank will start from the ground up, with perpendicular 2x4's to the stands 2x10-12's. They will be on 8" centers...

Demenions are 8' l x 4' d x 2' h

That 'rendering' was just made in photoshop in 30 minutes so its not entirely accurate. I started that 'rendering' with this concept sketch..

The Pillars located on each corner are 6x6's. The front will be entirely interlocking and I will try to represent that in a sketch very shortly...

I could have just bought one of those super deals at Namco, but I am a little impatient and would like to be able to watch my fish.

I would also like to replicate a dock, scene, by having a bulkhead for the back and a 4x4 in the water for a faux dock. The lights will be positioned so that you can see the shadows of the lat's on the dock (probably 3 or so 1x6's with a 1" gap between each.

Opinions? Does this look structurally feasible? Any input is appretiated.

Epic Fabrications

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2007
Maryland

The black square is the tank and the black circle is a structural support for the house. 10 ft from the wall, otherwise I would have gone with a 12' tank. :irked:

The tank will not be pushed up against the wall either. It will be about 6" away to retain heat in the tank.

Epic Fabrications

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2007
Maryland
here is the interlocking system for the glass front.

The dado will only be on one side of the 4x4, to fit the glass. The 4x4's will then be fastened to the top and bottom of the 6x6's with 8" 3/4 lags and a lot of marine wood glue.

So the original 2d sketch is incorrect, because the pillars holding the seperate 3 pieces of glass will be other 6x6's. Unless I am advised that 4x4's would be strong enough.

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
Someone put a link on my thread labeled starting to plan my 2500 gal or something like that. The link they put in the guy built a 1600 gal tank out of 4x4 construction. I am thinking of upping my gallonage to 3000 gal, and still going to use 4x4 construction.

Epic Fabrications

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2007
Maryland
Im not entirely sure, although it has been done successfully, that I would trust a 4x4 holding back ~5000 lbs of water (and thats just my 480g concept)

I would think a 3000 gallon tank would hold around 22,000 lbs of water. would you trust a 3.5" piece of wood holding that back? I think if the 6x6 were set up like in my last sketch (which represents the bottom/top of the 6x6) would be overkill, yet comforting, for my tank. Maybe a 2000g WINDOW frame but not the entire tank...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store