Tank construction

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Tell me what is better. I only know 3 types of tanks still being made, glass, acrylic, and lexan. I will list +/- for each as I am aware of them, please correct me if I am wrong as I probably am. Glass- heavy, large tanks need frames, expensive for tempered glass, 8'x4'x3/4" is about max, does not stand up too sheer forces; Acrylic- can curve, big tanks, doesn't need frames, 1/2 wieght of glass, sheer resistant scratches easily, heat sensitive, impact sensitive, a little more visual distortive than glass of same thickness, need + thickness for same volume: Lexan- expensive, limited suppliers, scratches almost as easy as acrylic, easily shaped, any size, almost as heavey as glass, so resistant to impact that they use it as bulletproofing, expensive(oops said that). Tell me what cha think. :feedback:

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
Cmon people

WckedMidas

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2005
BODYMORE MD
u want harder to scratch go with glass. want lightness when carrying go acrylic or lexan. or you almost unbreakable even with a gun shot go lexan

Jesse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
For tanks 125 gallon and smaller, I prefer glass tanks because they are cheaper and have larger openings for hang-on-back filters. For tanks larger than 125 gallon, I prefer acrylic because of the lighter weight and lesser potential for catastrophic failure.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
icthyophile said:
For tanks 125 gallon and smaller, I prefer glass tanks because they are cheaper and have larger openings for hang-on-back filters. For tanks larger than 125 gallon, I prefer acrylic because of the lighter weight and lesser potential for catastrophic failure.
That is the kind of info I need, one of the guys trying to move my "free" tank got seriously slashed when back plate shattered. many stitches, they will release him probably tommorrow.

Jesse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
guppy said:
That is the kind of info I need, one of the guys trying to move my "free" tank got seriously slashed when back plate shattered. many stitches, they will release him probably tommorrow.
Yikes. I hope he has a swift recovery. Old glass tanks that have been dry for extended periods of time are always a little dicey, as the silicone will probably need to be stripped and redone.

Another key difference is that acrylic tanks must be fully supported on the bottom whereas glass tanks need only be supported by the edges. An acrylic tank kept on a hollow-center stand made for glass tanks will ultimately bow in the center.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store