Tank cover help and question

Fishowner

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2015
So I made some very simple and cheap tank covers for a 75 gallon tank. All I did was go to my local menards and told them I wanted plexiglass, so i'm not too sure of what kind of plastic it is, and just used a dremel tool to cut two pieces big enough to cover both sides. They dont sit into the rim of the tank, and all i did was place some heavy objects to hold them down. My ongoing issue with this are....it has prevent some fishes from jumping out but it flexes or curls up. I would like to do a DIY cover, with ideas of improving it or some better material that doesn't curl up. Anything would be nice. If this thread not clear, feel free to ask me on anything.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
See if your local store carries Twin Wall Polycarbonate panel, normally used for greenhouse roofs. It does not warp, is easy to cut with a utility knife and has great light transmission.

Reactions: Fishowner

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Plexiglass is a trademark name for acrylic. As we know, acrylic does have "movement" on it, especially if you're putting weight on it too, as you're doing to prevent the fish from jumping. Maybe you could try thicker sheets that don't warp and bend as much but they will be heavier, not ideal.

The twin wall polycarbonate roofing sheets that deeda mentions would be an excellent alternative. They are corrugated and so are very rigid and a lot lot lighter than acrylic sheets. I work in the plastics recycling industry and we get sheets of this stuff all the time, I have some set aside in the warehouse right now just in case I need them in the future on a tank build etc.

If by any chance you live in the UK, anywhere near lancashire, feel free to pm me and you can come and get some FOC.

Reactions: Fishowner

Fishowner

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2015
Plexiglass is a trademark name for acrylic. As we know, acrylic does have "movement" on it, especially if you're putting weight on it too, as you're doing to prevent the fish from jumping. Maybe you could try thicker sheets that don't warp and bend as much but they will be heavier, not ideal.

The twin wall polycarbonate roofing sheets that deeda mentions would be an excellent alternative. They are corrugated and so are very rigid and a lot lot lighter than acrylic sheets. I work in the plastics recycling industry and we get sheets of this stuff all the time, I have some set aside in the warehouse right now just in case I need them in the future on a tank build etc.

If by any chance you live in the UK, anywhere near lancashire, feel free to pm me and you can come and get some FOC.
See if your local store carries Twin Wall Polycarbonate panel, normally used for greenhouse roofs. It does not warp, is easy to cut with a utility knife and has great light transmission.
Thank you both for the replies, really appreciate it! I dont live in the UK, but I will have a look around, or end up ordering it and giving it a go. Thanks again!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store