Tank cycling time?

Jonnyakawombell

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2010
durham
Hi, I've kept fish for a very long time but it's very rare that I'll set up a new tank, I'm starting of a new 125g for my blue eyed panaque, LDA105's and a few other bits and bobs, so my question is how long would it take for the 125g to cycle and be ready for fish, the filter will be almost new but has Been running in another mature tank for around a week, I can use mature water out of my 400g which has been running for around 10 years or so, the gravel is also relatively new, with all this in mind how long do you guys think it would take for the cycle to be complete, many thanks in advance because I don't have a clue lol

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
Take some media out of a cycled filter. The water idea won't work...there is virtually zero beneficial bacteria in the water column. I keep extra media in all my sumps just so I can fire up a new system any time.

Reactions: tlindsey

Jonnyakawombell

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2010
durham
Take some media out of a cycled filter. The water idea won't work...there is virtually zero beneficial bacteria in the water column. I keep extra media in all my sumps just so I can fire up a new system any time.
I have 3 fx6's running on my 400g would It work if I just swapped one of them to the 125g and the put the new fx6 on the 400g since it would still be left with 2 mature filters?

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
I have 3 fx6's running on my 400g would It work if I just swapped one of them to the 125g and the put the new fx6 on the 400g since it would still be left with 2 mature filters?
Yes, that should work perfectly.

Reactions: tlindsey

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
As I said, "mature" water is pointless...add the fish immediately. Don't switch the filter till you add the fish. The bacteria will die off if there's no ammonia from the fish to feed it. Trust me, I do this all the time.

Jonnyakawombell

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2010
durham
As I said, "mature" water is pointless...add the fish immediately. Don't switch the filter till you add the fish. The bacteria will die off if there's no ammonia from the fish to feed it. Trust me, I do this all the time.
Totally trust you buddy thanks for the advice its massively appreciated, like I said I very rarely set up new tanks, and I need to get this one right as there's some expensive fish going in, thanks again

Reactions: Bigfishnut
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store