Tank height for bichir fish

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
You can go as deep as you want. Polys live in deeper water then our tanks so don't worry about that. But make sure there is enough room for them to breach and gulp air. It's seems logical that if swimming in open water they'd feel more vulnerable so less height is probably "better" but they are still going to get air, just make sure they can.
As for decor up higher some of mine seem to love sitting up higher. I have one spot on my background that sits about an inch below the surface. My albino loves to sit there, his back is just below the surface.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Your fine with that depth but like Polyaddict86 Polyaddict86 mentioned it's going to be a pain cleaning it.

If it were me I wouldnt go higher than 2ft. But either way the Polys will be fine

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
For the smaller UJs: 6.5 inch albino sens and then 10inch Polys. Would a height difference of 3 inches make a difference? They currently are around 17inch from the surface, but the new tank is 21inches from the surface. Don’t want to stress them out with the extra trek to the top.

Any links to suggestions of caves or platforms would be appreciated.Just have Mopani driftwood right now. Has any body made diy caves or platforms?

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Is a 1inch air gap enough? (From water height to top of tank). I think I remember reading 1-2 inch?
That will be fine. I have planters suspended from the sides of the pond. I catch the ropefish sitting on them all the time. The planters are an inch or two submerged. Don't usually catch the polys on them but they do sit on the highest ridge on the pond sides from time to time about 8" below the surface.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store