Tank Help!!!

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
punkshok;609864; said:
I dont know if anyone else has had problems with this but I need a little guidance...
I got a 55 gallon tank for my oscars, and the water is just turning a disgusting color of green....its almost flourescent lol

Im pretty sure I have enough filtration, i got two diesel filters including 1 penguin 400 which im pretty sure should be enough on its own... I also have a powerhead running near the bottom to keep water flowin.

Ive tried doin water changes, doesnt help and looks like its made it worse...
could it be my home water, maybe theres somethin in it?

what should I do to solve this problem, are there water filters or anything else that I should do that would take care of this problem?

If your tapwater params are ok (per WyldFya) Do 50% W/C (cleaning gravel if you have it), cover the tank to preclude light getting in for 3-4 days and NO peeking. Limit feeding to a minimum. Limit lighting to 2hrs on / 2hrs off to break the algae growth cycle after problem improves. Are you using salt as an additive?

And get a UV sterilizer if you can afford it, usually they are put it on the output of the filter or output of a powerhead, there are also self-powered ones too. I think petsmart had some cheap ones. The UV's will kill most algae as long as it goes thru the UV :D so occasional stirring is in order.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Good luck.

Dr Joe

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store