tank leak

badassissimo

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Mansfield, Louisiana, U.S.A.
Mostly venting unless somebody has/knows some magic

I have a 29 gallon that is leaking somewhere on the bottom. I don't get paid till the 25th. I have 2 5 gallon buckets. worst part about this is all the tools, caulk gun, and silicone are 5 1/2 hours away at my other house. 2nd bad deal about this is I have this tank cycled and don't want to lose fish over uncycled buckets. I have a HOB I can use for one bucket and keep some BB going. I have air stone and some ornaments to keep BB in the other. Water changes I guess will have to be daily. Too bad there isn't like a radiator stop lean for aquariums that's fish safe.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Mostly venting unless somebody has/knows some magic

I have a 29 gallon that is leaking somewhere on the bottom. I don't get paid till the 25th. I have 2 5 gallon buckets. worst part about this is all the tools, caulk gun, and silicone are 5 1/2 hours away at my other house. 2nd bad deal about this is I have this tank cycled and don't want to lose fish over uncycled buckets. I have a HOB I can use for one bucket and keep some BB going. I have air stone and some ornaments to keep BB in the other. Water changes I guess will have to be daily. Too bad there isn't like a radiator stop lean for aquariums that's fish safe.
Sorry to hear that -- small or large, leaks are never any fun esp. when on the bottom.

Btw, instead of 2 X 5 gallon buckets how about using a decent sized plastic tote (about 30 gallon)? -- you should be able to keep all your biomedia and fish together in something like that, which is more ideal than separately -- your BB will appreciate the constant source of ammonia and less chance of them (and fish) dying off over the next 5 days. In any case hope it all works out well!

badassissimo

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Mansfield, Louisiana, U.S.A.
Had that thought. I've got 4 at my disposal. I just don't recall how clean I've kept them to be certain they aren' t toxic. The buckets are for water changes and preparation only so I know they aren't toxic.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Sorry to hear that -- small or large, leaks are never any fun esp. when on the bottom.

Btw, instead of 2 X 5 gallon buckets how about using a decent sized plastic tote (about 30 gallon)? -- you should be able to keep all your biomedia and fish together in something like that, which is more ideal than separately -- your BB will appreciate the constant source of ammonia and less chance of them (and fish) dying off over the next 5 days. In any case hope it all works out well!
+1

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
If necessary use the buckets the bio media can go in one as well. I personally would put the bio media in with the fish. Add a air stone and do wc's if they are going to be in the buckets for awhile. If you are able to buy a new 30 gallon tote that would be great you could actually place a small HOB filter on it. It will depend on how sturdy the tote is though.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I recently moved and while moving I hurt myself pretty badly. I tripped coming up the stairs with a 150lb bag of cement. I broke my middle finger tore the ligament in my ring finger and the back of my hand, elbow and shoulder. Before the accident I had cleared out the last of the tanks and the inhabitants were in a 5g bucket, luckily. They lived for about 6 weeks in that bucket. They had a filter and I fed them honestly I only changed the water like 2 or 3 times because of many other issues and healing. Again luckily the room temp sits at about 70f. They are all fine never lost 1. They are not big fish obviously, 6 Denison barbs 5 checkerboard barbs a pair of macmasteri apistogrammas and a bristle nose. I also stuck alot of my pothos in the top of the bucket. It wasnt ideal and I still feel terrible. But with 1 arm and no help it was just something I couldnt fix. Still have issues with the elbow and shoulder but hand is better and I offered the guys that drought me my couch $20 to put my 75 on the stand they did it and declined the money.(wish I'd have asked about the 180).
Hope that helps.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I recently moved and while moving I hurt myself pretty badly. I tripped coming up the stairs with a 150lb bag of cement. I broke my middle finger tore the ligament in my ring finger and the back of my hand, elbow and shoulder. Before the accident I had cleared out the last of the tanks and the inhabitants were in a 5g bucket, luckily. They lived for about 6 weeks in that bucket. They had a filter and I fed them honestly I only changed the water like 2 or 3 times because of many other issues and healing. Again luckily the room temp sits at about 70f. They are all fine never lost 1. They are not big fish obviously, 6 Denison barbs 5 checkerboard barbs a pair of macmasteri apistogrammas and a bristle nose. I also stuck alot of my pothos in the top of the bucket. It wasnt ideal and I still feel terrible. But with 1 arm and no help it was just something I couldnt fix. Still have issues with the elbow and shoulder but hand is better and I offered the guys that drought me my couch $20 to put my 75 on the stand they did it and declined the money.(wish I'd have asked about the 180).
Hope that helps.
Sorry to hear you got hurt and had to still maintain things. Also great hearing about no lost fish.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Sorry to hear you got hurt and had to still maintain things. Also great hearing about no lost fish.
Yeah ive had a rough couple of months. Not a story for this thread though.
B badassissimo fish are a little more resilient then we think....usually. I'm not saying it was ideal or something to do long term. I also think a larger tote would be better if possible.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store