Tank Leveling Advice.......Please!

Doc_Polit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2007
Blackfalds, Alberta
My basement floor is a concrete slab.

Naturally, the location that I have chosen for my 180-gallon tank is out of level 3/4" from left to right over the 6' span.

In trying to determine the best method to get my stand (1.5 square steel tubing) level, I have narrowed my choices to 2.

Option 1 - Rip down dimensional lumber (2"x4") to support/offset the entire length of the "gap". Shim would be cut very slightly higher to account for compression once the tank is full.

Option 2 - Install these (http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware...=3,40993,41283). I am thinking that rather than use screws I would have them "tack" welded in place. I would place 1 at each corner and 1 (front and back) at the center support.

Please give me your thoughts. Which would you choose? Why?

Thanks!

azazal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2009
upstate new york
they both kinda suck lol... sorry..why not pour a concrete pad level and set tank on that?...5 or 6 bags 5000psi self leveling concrete , mesh and 2x4 frame ...id say off the top of my head $50 mat'l and a days work...depends on how thick you want pad...

im sure someone on here knows min thickness for a pad this size? ill guess and say 2 " at shallow end (2.75'' low end)

BadOleRoss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2009
Virginia
azazal;4296633; said:
they both kinda suck lol... sorry..why not pour a concrete pad level and set tank on that?...5 or 6 bags 5000psi self leveling concrete , mesh and 2x4 frame ...id say off the top of my head $50 mat'l and a days work...depends on how thick you want pad...

im sure someone on here knows min thickness for a pad this size? ill guess and say 2 " at shallow end (2.75'' low end)
I like this idea. THe only thing I might also look at doing was to pour the self leveling concrete into the form but on a sheet of heavy platic sheeting so it doesnt bond to the floor. That way, when you move or tear the tank down you dont have a weird place on the floor.

azazal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2009
upstate new york
BadOleRoss;4296678; said:
I like this idea. THe only thing I might also look at doing was to pour the self leveling concrete into the form but on a sheet of heavy platic sheeting so it doesnt bond to the floor. That way, when you move or tear the tank down you dont have a weird place on the floor.

i actually thought about writing that too except i was gonna say roofing felt...(cheap)

Doc_Polit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2007
Blackfalds, Alberta
Thanks for the input.

I think your idea is the winner azazal.

I am going to build a form and line the bottom with something pliable that will keep the pad off of the floor.

I will fill the mold with Sakrete fast-set mortar mix.

Then on to the 180 build. :D

azazal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2009
upstate new york
Egon;4298348; said:
Just shim it. That tubular stock stand you have is way over kill strength wise. Might as well use those advantages, you have em :)

only as strong as the weakest weld....and if that happens to be the weld that the shim drives the load through..well....murphy's laws a *****...

i have no faith in using wood shims between concrete and metal on a basement floor...wet wood + weight + time = disaster IMHO

BTW if you do it and put a barrier down to possibly remove later i personally would not use re-bar or mesh...that would suck tearing out

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store