Tank Lids for Channa

DeepArow

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2015
Canada
Good evening,

Forgive me if this would be better suited for a different forum on mfk; I'm just curious what everyone is running for tank lids on their channa/parachanna tanks?

I'm currently running with eggcrate on mine, but the evaporation / noise from the filter system is a bit much. I'm thinking I'd like to do sliding glass lids but Im worried about the amount of oxygen they fish willl have access too- any thoughts?

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
I use glass lids and put a strip on eggcrate on either side of them for ventilation .

Also they do not like turbulent waters so if filter noise is an issue it might be too much flow.

Cheers

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
I use glass lids and put a strip on eggcrate on either side of them for ventilation .

Also they do not like turbulent waters so if filter noise is an issue it might be too much flow.

Cheers
I'm going to jump in and ask since it was mentioned... ;)
Any idea if Diplos are OK with flow? Being trops and all...

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
They don't mind it as much as other channa , I have mine in a circular tank and they tend to stay on the side that has minimal flow and still areas over the direct current .

They are deep water river species and migrate to flood plains/ lakes in flood seasons .

DeepArow

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2015
Canada
Thank you for the response! I was previously using smaller hobs to reduce flow but after one escape that I posted on here I switched to large sponge filters and have noticed a huge improvement in my water quality and mine really seem to be happier with the switch. I did have a sump I could have ran but I was worried about too much flow. They even spend quite a bit of time under the sponges themselves.

The noise thing is because I ended up moving the 125g they are in next to my home office desk(literally side by side) to make room for a 210g (aquarium addictions what can I say?). So now with the tank right next to the desk it can sometimes make it hard to talk on the phone if the other person's phone is quiet. It's not a crazy amount of noise but it's enough.

So what I'd like to do is get 4 pieces of dual track pvc tracks and put two panes of glass between each so they will slide inside the track but now I'm going to need to figure out how to secure the egg crate.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store