Tank mates

Softleyj5

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2017
Thank you for your advice and opinions ! I've heard they're quite a quirky fish if paired or grouped and I'd prefer the aggression spread, instead of one getting bullied or beaten up. The firemouth I have now is a bit shy so I just wanted to give I'm company so I'll follow your instructions and he should be a happy fish thanks all

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree with tlindsey and stanzzzz, the best cichlid tankmates for fire mouths are firemouths, and or live bearers like swordtails or sailfish mollies.
Convicts are a bit too aggressive, especially in that small tank of only 75-80 gallons.
Other cichlids will vie for territory in the same space fire mouths do, and there really is not that much of a foot print in an 80 gal tank.
And because live bearers tend to be more mid column, and surface dweller, they wouldn't compete and dd activity to those spaces.
If you look at the natural habitat of cichlids, this is a very common biotope.
Although there are no FMs in the video below, this was shot only miles from where FMs are found, and a good representation of how they would live in nature.
027 zps4b102ffd

Reactions: Gourami Swami

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree with tlindsey and stanzzzz, the best cichlid tankmates for fire mouths are firemouths, and or live bearers like swordtails or sailfish mollies.
Convicts are a bit too aggressive, especially in that small tank of only 75-80 gallons.
Other cichlids will vie for territory in the same space fire mouths do, and there really is not that much of a foot print in an 80 gal tank.
And because live bearers tend to be more mid column, and surface dweller, they wouldn't compete and give activity to those spaces.
If you look at the natural habitat of cichlids, this is a very common biotope.
Although there are no FMs in the video below, this was shot only miles from where FMs are found, and a good representation of how they would live in nature.
027 zps4b102ffd

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store