Tank purchases

crashinc25

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2007
Yucaipa, CA
I know there's the sale forum, but I think it's weird that there's no tank manufacturer or supplier in the vendor forum (maybe I missed them?)
So, I'm looking for a tank. Actually, a sump. Who's reliable? Who has good deals?

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
You’ll never find a new premade sump for a good deal haha but me and a lot of other members can walk you through making your own out of a used aquarium or even Rubbermaid bin. It’s honestly not difficult at all

Last edited:

crashinc25

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2007
Yucaipa, CA
You’ll never find a new premade sump for a good deal haha but me and a lot of other members can walk you through making your own out of a used aquarium or even Rubbermaid bin. It’s honestly not difficult at all
Thanks man! Appreciate it. I was more curious about where we get our tanks and why the market is void of tank manufacturers.
I'm in an unusual spot. I have a space for 24" L x 18" W x 22" T. That's the total allotted space for a sump. I managed to find a sump that is 24"L x 12"W x 14" T so I'm good on size. I think it's empty... no baffles so building it and filling it are still up in the air along with sizing a pump. I'll post questions once I get to that point.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I've used sumps since the mid 80s, and see no need for baffles, in fact, I find baffles get in my way during maintanece, (especially if the sump is rammed in a small space directly below the tank. Once baffles are in, they can be restrictive if you want to expand the scope of a sump as your filtration knowledge grows, and you want to try more imaginative types of filtration.
I use old scratched up tanks, barrels, and as stated above rubbermaid bins, I even used a 1500 gallon pond as a sump for a 55 gallon tank.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Agree with the others and what duanes duanes stated about no need for baffles also a sump can be placed on the side or the back of the aquarium.

DABXBOY

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2019
ORLANDO, FLORIDA
I've used sumps since the mid 80s, and see no need for baffles, in fact, I find baffles get in my way during maintanece, (especially if the sump is rammed in a small space directly below the tank. Once baffles are in, they can be restrictive if you want to expand the scope of a sump as your filtration knowledge grows, and you want to try more imaginative types of filtration.
I use old scratched up tanks, barrels, and as stated above rubbermaid bins, I even used a 1500 gallon pond as a sump for a 55 gallon tank.
Is there a writeup somewhere on here for a 75 gallon freshwater sump without the baffles?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store