tank question

milkman407

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2006
in a house
quick question about my new tank..

i have a 45 gallon charcoal filter and a 110 gallon carbon filter running in my 120 gallon tank.

its ben running for about 2 days and i have 2 feeder fish in there just to see if they live.

I've added

Prime to remove all the chloramine chlorine and ammonia and i've also added stress coat.

How long should i wait before i can start getting fish?

and When should i put live plants in there and is there any type of live plant that is the most affective to help with your tank?

fisher12889

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 21, 2006
Colorado
How many watts of light do you have? Most plants need at least 2 watts per gallon of water. You can add plants right away, they will help w/ cycling the tank. Before you can add fish, you have to wait until the tank has cycled. That is basically when the ammonia has gone down to zero, after it has spiked. Im sure someone here can explain it better!

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy,

although coal/carbon filtration is good for the first few days after setting up a new tank, you should remove that media if you plan on keeping plants. As said above, you can add plants right away. Good, hardy plants are Cryptocoryne, Valliseria, Echinodorus, Anubia. They are fine even in low-light conditions (although they certainly appreciate a bit more light if possible).

Make sure to monitor ammonia and nitrite levels in your tank. Bottled bacteria help to speed up the cycling process. You may also want to do an MFK search on "cycling". Lots of info has been posted here.

Happy Fishkeeping,

HarleyK

milkman407

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2006
in a house
Thank you verymuch.. im going out in 4 hours to buy some sponges/foam for boath of my filters also gona get some wood for my tank and some live plants.

U GUYS ROCK

unstopable4700

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
indiana
if you have any other tanks running the best thing would be to take media from one of them and put it in the new tank. almost instant cycle. ready for fish real fast

milkman407

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2006
in a house
im kinda new to this what does media mean?
and whats the norma ph for a arrowana i dont want him to get screwed up when i buy it..

unstopable4700

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
indiana
media is anything you are using for filtering. such as bio balls, foam, etc. anything that the bacteria grows on or in. even gravel or decorations

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store