Tank Size for 3 Caribe Piranha

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
I am wondering what tank size 3 adult Caribas require? Is 75 enough or will I need something like a 125 when they are adults? Could I just put babies in a 75 or 125 and be done? I have heard that there is a 20 gallon rule for Caribas. If that is true, then a 75 should be fine for 3 of them but I honestly don't know if this is best practice. Any help is much appreciated.

Last edited:
Reactions: dr exum

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
3 in a 75 until they get bigger n your probably ok, lots of filtration. Messy fish!

GL and pics ?

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
3 in a 75 until they get bigger n your probably ok, lots of filtration. Messy fish!

GL and pics ?
Would 5 be better than 3? I've heard that that can make a difference in negating aggression. If I did go with 5, what would the minimum then be? 125 then switch to 180? Or could I do 125 with 5 adults?

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Would 5 be better than 3? I've heard that that can make a difference in negating aggression. If I did go with 5, what would the minimum then be? 125 then switch to 180? Or could I do 125 with 5 adults?

Ya know, I’ve had probably 50 pyogos, little ones tend to kill each other for no rhyme or reason, it’s all a roll of the dice...

3 vs 5, it’s really up to you.

I always bought a few extra due to inevitable Cannibalism...

I had 4 large Ternetzi in a 120 for a long while. They were fine, not as aggressive as your considering...

If your gonna cut cost on tank and go small get caribe, gonna spend money on a tank get Piraya,

Sounds like you need some experience maybe 3 - $40 caribe in a $100 75 g your all in $300.... vs 3-5 $200 Piraya ea. in a $1000 -180...

Good luck!

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Ya know, I’ve had probably 50 pyogos, little ones tend to kill each other for no rhyme or reason, it’s all a roll of the dice...

3 vs 5, it’s really up to you.

I always bought a few extra due to inevitable Cannibalism...

I had 4 large Ternetzi in a 120 for a long while. They were fine, not as aggressive as your considering...

If your gonna cut cost on tank and go small get caribe, gonna spend money on a tank get Piraya,

Sounds like you need some experience maybe 3 - $40 caribe in a $100 75 g your all in $300.... vs 3-5 $200 Piraya ea. in a $1000 -180...

Good luck!
I do need some experiecne lol. And no, I'm considering either 3-5 Cariba, 1 Cariba or 1 Piraya. But I'm leaning towards 1 Cariba or 1 Piraya. Maybe even leaning more towards 1 Piraya at that. Not multiples for Piraya. I've heard that Cariba are more hardy and less apt to get hith and other diseases so that's why I am considering Cariba. But I really do love the idea of a Piraya.

How much do you think a setup would cost for one Piraya? I'm assuming I'll be starting with either a baby or a 12 incher (if I can get one that a person I know is selling) and would use a 125 gallon either way for a while until the fish gets too big and then I'll pickup a 160 gallon (96Lx24Wx16H ). The 125 should last me for a few years though I would think.

And how big of a tank would an adult Cariba require minimum?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store