Tank Size Opinions

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
I would be keeping Metynnis Argentus, at least this is what I suspect they are. (Included video below). I know how big some types of SDs can get

I only have 8 of these at the moment in my current tank, but was thinking of adding 2 more. They spawn quite frequently.
Agreed dont keep in small groups. Hence the school size I was thinking of would be a group of 15 minimum in my larger tank.

I was thinking about mixing different types of SDs if they are available, (which isn't always the case) and if they are not to over priced. In which case I wouldnt go for tinfoils then.
Or maybe not the TFs at all, and just a bigger group of SDs. (dimmed lighting on sides of tank with "roots" hanging into the tank from each side. Rocks on the bottom of the tank, covered with sand so only about half stick up through the substrate). Keep it plain and simple.
Or no SDs, and just a group of 8 tinfoils.
One of my favorite things about fish keeping is the dreaming haha :)

As mentioned before, this is not a plan for now, just a dream tank for the future in 2 years or so. Bigger is better (my ideal is 8 x 3 x 3 ft), but I also look at worst case/best case situations (maybe I get to go even bigger, maybe I get stuck at 2m in length)

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
I think the fish mentioned would love a bigger footprint tank.... My opinion would be at min. a standard 540 (8x3x3). Maybe add a larger peaceful fish to get the fish to school tighter.
I currently have an Asian Arowana and 8 SDS and they do school quite nicely with a bigger fish. Mostly sticking close to the Aro, but only around his tail/back half.
That is if they arent darting around chasing each other or spawning. Or if I come near the tank and then all just wait at the feeding gap haha.

Reactions: Aqua Anteater

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
You should post images of your Metynnis silver dollars here!! - several specimens, in various positions. Only then can they really be objectively assessed here to know they are one or another species. We need lots of silver dollar pictures from various taxa and various sources to allow better learning. Currently the is not a whole lot of good information out there, and instead a lot of weak information. The video you attached does not allow good examination.

Out of 16 accepted names in the genus Metynnis, only 6 species are seen in the hobby with any regularity, and the majority of the specimens are of only 5 species. The most common are M. lippincotianus, M. maculatus, M. fasciatus, M. hypsauchen, and M. altidorsalis, in no particular order.

The name [Metynnis] argenteus is problematic. Although frequently used, it is not currently considered an accepted name. Many specimens referred to argenteus have been synonimyzed with M. altidordalis, but a number of specimens have been recognized as various other species in the genus. Therefore, although the label "Metynnis argenteus" is common in the hobby, only pictures allow determining what species it actually is (they may not all be the same), and there are several involved.

Pictures of your dollars? You would be rich....

Reactions: mattybecks

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I am amazed that you have been able to keep these guys in a planted tank. Or do you just keep replacing the plants as need be?
No, the plants are the same, and they replaced themselves.
Check out this other thread!

Reactions: mattybecks
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store