Tank suggestions, an general feedback

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
You have about 6 months till they hit about 10 inch depending on the sex, waterchange, diet, stress levels. As others have said, lots of big aggressive unsexed fish in a small tank is a disaster waiting to happen. Imo the best way to keep large ca cichlids is as compatible pair or solo unless you have a 300+ gal tank.

DamoAu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2018
I’ve got ways of houseing this ive agreed that I will need to move a few things, I wanted to know just on average what’s to be expected with growth rate, as I still have a month before the 125g an I can upgrade I have a pond ( I live in Australia so cichlids in ponds is fine)

Cheers gourami that’s what I wanted to know, I won’t need a 300gal tank I can use 4000gal pond when ever so that’s why I’m not fussed on aggression cause once there two big an attacking stuff I’ll move them on into a pond, Picture the 125 gal is a better grow out tank then a 60gal as for my water, I don’t have any issues surprisingly everything reads fine it’s high maintenance but I don’t mind

I feel like good feeding, good water an the over stocking is the only reason I don’t have issues with this tank, my red jewel colony was in the this tank originally an it was really cool all the fish moved as one group, the jewels just got too big so I’ve moved them

Reactions: Gourami Swami

davemal

Piranha
MFK Member
May 15, 2007
Neath
Take advise from gourami he is spot on, it might be safer to separate some of the fish you have. Sounds like the guy in your fish shop just wants to sell. I have kept fish together that I was told don't mix all goes well for a while then you wake upto carnage.

Reactions: Gourami Swami

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I’ve got ways of houseing this ive agreed that I will need to move a few things, I wanted to know just on average what’s to be expected with growth rate, as I still have a month before the 125g an I can upgrade I have a pond ( I live in Australia so cichlids in ponds is fine)

Cheers gourami that’s what I wanted to know, I won’t need a 300gal tank I can use 4000gal pond when ever so that’s why I’m not fussed on aggression cause once there two big an attacking stuff I’ll move them on into a pond, Picture the 125 gal is a better grow out tank then a 60gal as for my water, I don’t have any issues surprisingly everything reads fine it’s high maintenance but I don’t mind

I feel like good feeding, good water an the over stocking is the only reason I don’t have issues with this tank, my red jewel colony was in the this tank originally an it was really cool all the fish moved as one group, the jewels just got too big so I’ve moved them
Cheers, 4000 gallon pond would be a good option for sure. The real reason you have not had problems yet is because your fish are babies still, you have not had the experience of keeping adult speciemens of these fish for years. Nothing wrong with that, got to start somewhere. I would just advise you move the red devil, fenestratus, texas, into the pond sooner rather than later (before, not after they have started to kill your other fish, which will happen).
Best of luck to you

Reactions: mattison187
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store