Tank Upgrade 450-550g Planning

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Well, I finally got the go ahead from the wife to begin planning for my tank upgrade from a 180g to a 450-550g tank. There are two things I need to immediately figure out: 1) budget and 2) filtration approach (impacts budget. I am trying to do this build for under $7500 total and my approach is to go with an acrylic tank. What I need from MFK is help on filtration ideas so I can pull together anticipated budget.

There are 3 filtration approaches I was looking at and want input on:
1) Sump - Most logical
2) HMF - Cheapest
3) Closed loop via Ultima - most complex and expensive

Before I go into my thoughts on the 3 approaches, my stock is a single aimara wolf fish that I am growing out. I doubt he will have any tank mates. I doubt I will ever go with anything like rays ever. If I move to new fish it will probably be piranha again or something like dorado. I am not a big fan of overstocking and like to keep things very simple (no highly sensitive fish or crap ton of hard to school fish). Now on to my thoughts:

Sump
Safest choice but need to figure out the following:
- What size? I will be running an auto drip so the sump will be drilled for overflow and will be run close to full to make sure pumps never run dry when power goes out. I am guessing I will need to go with 90g or 120g.
- I do not want a massive sump with tons of complexity due to what I am keeping. Personally, the smaller the better with a focus on lots of room for easy cleaning. I could turn my 180g into a sump but I think that will be too complex considering my only other tank is a 40g breeder
- What mechanical? I am thinking filter floss over socks. I love the idea of just tossing floss every 1-2 weeks and not constantly re-washing socks. I just know I will never do it. When folks do floss how do they do it? I am guess it cannot be submerged like filter socks
- For bio, I am going to keep it simple. Re-user existing biomax media in 3 AC110s and existing 8x8x4 marine pure block. Was thinking of purchasing a second marine pure block and then some poret foam to build walls around that media. the poret will be 20ppi so that it acts as bio and not mechanical

Utlima/Biowave
I have kind of written these off my list unless someone can convince me otherwise for the following reasons:
- Any planned stock does not really justify the use of these
- Most expensive option for purchase and pump. Cost also prevents me from doing duplicate filtration as backup
- Don't have a 3in drain for backflushing of water. I just have access to a laundry room sink with standard drain

HMF
This is probably the most controversial and probably makes people think I am wacky for considering it. Here are my thoughts:
1) Simplest to setup, minimizes number of drains that reduces the risk of a leak, completely closed which makes it much easier to maintain heat
2) I would stuff low flow media such as marinepure behind the HMF corner filters for extra filtration, along with heaters and drain pipes behind the mattne filters
3) Probably the lowest cost. I can get high quality eheim pumps or add another air pump to run the matten.
4) Show be very low maintenance, but water clarity will obviously be lower than running a sump
5) I would do black poret so it blends with the black background and I was thinking of doing talls plants to help hide the matten filters and allow me to avoid doing gravel vacuuming.
6) Biggest drawback is that the corner filters will probably take up more than 60% extra space than overflow boxes. Probably go with a 12in radius which means the side walls of the tank will go from 4ft wide to 3ft wide.

I want to do this right so am open to feedback. One thing that is important is that this tank will be going in a corner flush against the wall which means unless I want to make a smaller tank, any drilling needs to be done to the bottom.

What are folks thoughts and suggestions?

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
For those that think I am insane to be talking about HMF, below is a vid to a guy in germany running a HMF filter on his 3,000g/11,000L tank.

JasonsPlecosCichlids

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2010
Kentucky
jasonsplecoscichlids.com
For those that think I am insane to be talking about HMF, below is a vid to a guy in germany running a HMF filter on his 3,000g/11,000L tank.

I have the photo of that tank, now the video, going to keep that.

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
In addition to the variables you talk about electricity cost is a big deal. An HMF air pump needs less than 50 watts, a sump low pressure pump probably 200-300 watts, a fluidized bed pressure pump probably 600-700 watts. Depending on your electricity costs that's hundreds of $$s per year.

Reactions: DRteugelsi

JasonsPlecosCichlids

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2010
Kentucky
jasonsplecoscichlids.com
I use HMF on two 265s, two 220s and a 170. One Alita 80 runs all 4, the other 220 is by itself on the other side of the room, otherwise it would be on that single pump as well. For tanks no higher than 28-30", this is the way to go for me, but any higher and they are just too dang heavy. I guess it may not matter as much if the place where the tank is built is not like in a finished basement where it all has to be neat. I had an Ultima 10,000 on my 500 and I loved it, I plan on getting another when I get my monster tank for sure. If I had the 500 back I would install HMF on them, no questions.

Reactions: FIU Panther

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
I think that tank is more like 700-900 gallons thou, nowhere close to 3000 gallons, otherwise that ray in there would be 5 foot across :)
The number of the person that posted the video has his own channel with lots of videos. If this is not the tank, he has a 3,000g run on HMF. I found a German forum where they were talking about his tank and looks like a lot of them use HMF style filters. I just did not have time yet to go through the forum with google translate :)

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
I use HMF on two 265s, two 220s and a 170. One Alita 80 runs all 4, the other 220 is by itself on the other side of the room, otherwise it would be on that single pump as well. For tanks no higher than 28-30", this is the way to go for me, but any higher and they are just too dang heavy. I guess it may not matter as much if the place where the tank is built is not like in a finished basement where it all has to be neat. I had an Ultima 10,000 on my 500 and I loved it, I plan on getting another when I get my monster tank for sure. If I had the 500 back I would install HMF on them, no questions.
I know its amazing. When I did my calculations all I need is about 27lpm to run the HMF on a 535g tank and I can that with like 40 watts which is less my three AC110s on my 180g. Your Alita can run 6,000gph based on the calculations that Steffan has done. Btw, not sure if you saw but he has new super jetlifters that a single one can deliver 500gph.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store