Tank water help

Dyl6917

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2020
About a month ago I bought a new piece of bogwood, the wood has been leaking tannin into my tank constantly, whenever I do a water change I take the wood out, replace the water and the water goes clearer again, I’ve also took the wood out and boiled it and a lot of tannin came out then but it’s carrying on, is there anything I can add to my tank to reduce the amount of tannin or do I just have to wait?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Carbon works, nothing beats purigen at removing tannins. Some woods (Like Mopani) can leach for months or years. Purigen kept my otherwise yellow tank clear.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Short answer. You just have to wait it out.
Carbon will clear the water but if the wood is still leaching tannins it will just turn color again once the carbon is used up.
So basically you will be throwing money away.
Either that or take the wood out and soak it somewhere else till it stops leaching and them move it back to the tank.

Reactions: Jexnell

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
What kind of fish are you keeping?
certain species (especially Amazon river black water fish like cardinal tetras, Uaru fernandenzyepezi, some Geophagines, and Heros severus to name a few) are much healthier with tannins in their water.
Especially if your water is hard, tannins can help with soft water species to ward off diseases like HLLE.
I realize some people find the tea colored stain disconcerting, but IMO for some fish the health benefits out weigh that little extra color.
If fact some people buy black water extract, or purchase and add almond leaves to get those benefits.
Where I live the infusion of tannins is seasonal, and because my tank is outside under tropical foliage, it is just part of the normal changing biota stream.
EE43F081-9C0C-495D-B756-0BF90E1041E8_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: FESHMAN

Dyl6917

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2020
Thanks for the replies, I’ll look into the purigen and also the carbon but I can’t really fit carbon in my filter, I have also heard that the tannins can be helpful so I’m not in any rush

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store