Tankmates for Black Ghost Knife Fish

kissme_419

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2006
Flint, Michigan
you know, it's really hard to even find a good fish store around me. I found out not that long ago my fav. fish store closed down and sold a bunch stuff cheap to loyal customers. I loved that place and i went there all the time. Is there anything else that would work as tankmates for a BGK?

Newt

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
Michigan's UP
Really? I always thought the eartheaters were pretty tame cichlids, in the profiles I've read regarding steindachneris they are listed as peaceful. Is it a male? Maybe if the steindachneris is put in the tank the same time as the BGK they will get along. Every fish is different.

The meanest fish I ever owed was a female firemouth, beat my convicts to a pulp, everything else in the tank, too. She was 5 inches and I had to bring her into the LFS because she wouldn't leave anything (even my hand!) alone!

kissme_419

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2006
Flint, Michigan
I had some baby firemouths, but they didn't last long. The tank I had them in sprang a leak over night and I lost all the fish inside.:cry:

kissme_419

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2006
Flint, Michigan
O.K. I think I have an idea of what i want. i have a list, tell me what you think.

1.Black Ghost Knife Fish
2.Bolivian Ram
3.Red Hump Earth Eater
4.Common Pleco
5.Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlid

kissme_419

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2006
Flint, Michigan
It's a 55g.

Russy Pelican

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2006
Asheville, NC
If you are absolutely dead set on cichlids, I'd go with Apistograms (rams) or another really mild-mannered dwarf type. Besides aggression, my BGK's were always tough to feed even without active, voracious feeders around. You have to bring the food right to some specimens, so I always kept them with elephant noses and "baby whales" for a tank full of oddities.

kissme_419

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2006
Flint, Michigan
Well, I already am planning on getting a bolivian ram and a dwarf cockatoo cichlid and the red hump earth eater is a peaceful fish also.

kissme_419

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2006
Flint, Michigan
Actually I'm having a hard time finding the earth eater and the cockatoo cichlid.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store