Tankmates for channa

Status
Not open for further replies.

matty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 26, 2005
Newcastle Upon Tyne, England
Hi, first post so not sure if in right place. Anyway I just got a little channa bleheri (approx 3") and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for tankmates. His eventual home will be a 54"x18"x15" tank. Cheers :)

aapl76

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
新加坡/Singapore
matty said:
Hi, first post so not sure if in right place. Anyway I just got a little channa bleheri (approx 3") and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for tankmates. His eventual home will be a 54"x18"x15" tank. Cheers :)
hi!!!! :welcome: to MFK.....

i have moved your thread to "Other Monster Fish section."

you may wish to consider some datniods, P.bass, pike cichlid, or some bichirs... :)

Monster VooDoo Fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2005
whatever you get, make sure it won't kill or eat your sh.
I had good luck with Ctenopoma, P. delhezi, Nicaraguensis, sajica,
small stingrays and severum with my gachua.

I would stay away from large cichlids they will out grow and
eat your sh.

The best tankmates would be more bleheri.

Heppy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2005
p.bass and pike cichlids will definately outgrow and eat your channa. id avoid anything aggressive and anything in general growing more than 8". channa blehri arn't aggresive like other channa and easily get intimidated by larger fish. id go for small oddball setup with Ctenopoma, nandus,a small knife like glass, brown ghost, african brown, also you could try polypterus small species such as delhazi, palmas poli, senagalus

PhullTank57

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2005
The Next Level
www.youtube.com
Hi and welcome to MFK, Matty! :)

Tankmates I've kept with bleheri before were H. fossilis cat, Rhaphiodon vulpinus, juv. payara, P. polli bichir, and others. GL and post pics! :headbang2

evilfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2005
england
well done on getting a snakehead!!! try getting some other types of channaide to go with them.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
No help here but welcome and damn that is an ugly mudskipper you have for an avatar, haha.

matty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 26, 2005
Newcastle Upon Tyne, England
Ok thanks guys been on hols hence late reply sorry. Ctenopoma idea appeals, kept them before and are cool fish. A few more questions, if I was to introduce more bleheri what would be the likely reaction of the existing one and has anyone kept a syno with bleheri as I have an ocellifer which I would like to move from my comm tank if its feasible. Also anyone ever kept freshwater puffers with bleheri? Experiences or opinions would be great :)

smltwnzer0

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
California
Hmm, plecos work well, aside from that it really depends on what kind of channa you're intending on housing. Adult cobra's (marulia) are pretty intolerant of other channa species (in my experience). Same with adult Reds (micropeltes). Basically --- BIG Channa = Best kept alone. Small Channa/juvenile Channa = good in small groups. Happy fish keeping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store