Tankmates for German blue rams in 55 gallon tank

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
Check for local fish clubs in Orlando. You probably won't get a guaranty but discus will cost half what the do at an lfs(atleast thats how it is in chicago). They will be a good source for cupidos and many other nonbread and butter species. Cupidos are not the hardiest fish around but I found them much easier to keep than gbr. Curviceps and dorsigera might be worth a look, size and temperament are matches but cant recall parameter requirements.

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
Check for local fish clubs in Orlando. You probably won't get a guaranty but discus will cost half what the do at an lfs(atleast thats how it is in chicago). They will be a good source for cupidos and many other nonbread and butter species. Cupidos are not the hardiest fish around but I found them much easier to keep than gbr. Curviceps and dorsigera might be worth a look, size and temperament are matches but cant recall parameter requirements.
I never knew those existed. There is only one club and it is a little less than 2 hours away, but definitely worth checking out. They have a meeting in about 2 weeks and they have mini auctions at each one with 2 big auctions each year. Thanks for the advice!

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Cyberman

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2011
Durham, UK
www.facebook.com
Look into types of smallish characins... but honestly if you got a few Rams up to their max size of 3" what more would you need? :D

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
Look into types of smallish characins... but honestly if you got a few Rams up to their max size of 3" what more would you need? :D
LOL There is some truth in that. They are quite the little characters. Well I am going to see about rainbow cichlids or keyholes, but if neither are easily available, I will just hold out until some nicer angelfish come along. Now if I get angels, I will probably get a medium sizes (2-3") barb or tetra (likely tetra since few of them are fin nippers). But if I get my rainbow or keyholes, can I get 6-8 of the 6" max Dennison barbs? The girlfriend really wants them and I think they are pretty, but I don't want just a Dennison barb and ram tank.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
I think Rainbow will be too big and will overpower Rams. Male Rainbow can grow to 6 inch, nearly twice the size of male Ram. Rams are best to keep a in colony of their own so you can watch their interesting territory and courtship display. Angel and Discus tankmates are good company as they are peaceful and take up the middle and top column of the water. Other bottom dwelling cichlid that won't overpower rams to consider is African Butterfly cichlid, which look and behave like rams.

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
I think Rainbow will be too big and will overpower Rams. Male Rainbow can grow to 6 inch, nearly twice the size of male Ram. Rams are best to keep a in colony of their own so you can watch their interesting territory and courtship display. Angel and Discus tankmates are good company as they are peaceful and take up the middle and top column of the water. Other bottom dwelling cichlid that won't overpower rams to consider is African Butterfly cichlid, which look and behave like rams.
Really? Everything I have read so far online has led me to believe rainbows only reach 3-4". So is it a territory space issue or an aggression issue with rainbows? I have seen and heard good things about keyholes, so I still might stick with getting a pair of keyholes and removing 2 of the rams. The only LFS that has told me they can get them say they are seasonal and they won't likely be available until late spring and early summer. Well I have lots of options. I am going to the TBAS fish club meeting in 2 weeks for their plant auction. Hopefully I can network myself in with some of the breeders and see if they have anything I might be interested in. I might even try for 2 pairs (found out last night I actually have 2 females and 3 males). The tank is heavily planted, so I think they will plenty of territory. Right now the bottom is being taken up by the 4 severum and the breeding pair of GBR I have. The other 3 stay in the middle mostly. I think once the severum are out, the female that isn't paired up will pick one of the males (they both try to court her, but I think the lack of space for egg laying is causing her to stave off the males) and settle down.

adixon816

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2012
Piscataway, NJ
Really? Everything I have read so far online has led me to believe rainbows only reach 3-4". So is it a territory space issue or an aggression issue with rainbows? I have seen and heard good things about keyholes, so I still might stick with getting a pair of keyholes and removing 2 of the rams. The only LFS that has told me they can get them say they are seasonal and they won't likely be available until late spring and early summer. Well I have lots of options. I am going to the TBAS fish club meeting in 2 weeks for their plant auction. Hopefully I can network myself in with some of the breeders and see if they have anything I might be interested in. I might even try for 2 pairs (found out last night I actually have 2 females and 3 males). The tank is heavily planted, so I think they will plenty of territory. Right now the bottom is being taken up by the 4 severum and the breeding pair of GBR I have. The other 3 stay in the middle mostly. I think once the severum are out, the female that isn't paired up will pick one of the males (they both try to court her, but I think the lack of space for egg laying is causing her to stave off the males) and settle down.

Have a look at Honduran red points, they're one of the more peaceful CA's and you can house two pairs in my opinion in a 55 if there is decent line of sight. They turn a nice blue just make sure you get some sp. Rio Danli as these are the true ones. Males will normally reach about 4" females 3" with the possibility of an extra inch on each sex. If you chose these I would get in contact with a trusted breeder to get a pure strain you don't want any that are crossbred with convicts. Jeff Rapps at Tangled Up In Cichlids has some.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
I have kept kribensis with rams and Kribensis is larger and will over power ram. Hondurus red point belongs to convict familty, and is only peaceful relative to big CAs. Rams don't look good unless they are in charge, and the choice of other cichlid tankmates is limited. Apistogramma and cupid cichlid will work, and so are angels and discus which don't compete for the same territory.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store