Tanks Overfill - on Floor!

tarheel96

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2015
North Carolina
predatorkeeper87 said:
put about 50 gallons of water on my bedroom floor the other day, I feel the pain hahaha
Did it cause any serious damage? How did you clean it up? I got a shop vac in January for that painful eventuality. This thing is FAST! I tested it with these 40Bs I use for aging and I think it would have emptied one of them in just over a minute. The problem is ... it has an 18 gallon capacity and when vacuuming pure water it pumps water out much slower than it takes water in. You have to wait on the output pump which seems like about 300 gph (hooked to a garden hose).

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Did it cause any serious damage? How did you clean it up? I got a shop vac in January for that painful eventuality. This thing is FAST! I tested it with these 40Bs I use for aging and I think it would have emptied one of them in just over a minute. The problem is ... it has an 18 gallon capacity and when vacuuming pure water it pumps water out much slower than it takes water in. You have to wait on the output pump which seems like about 300 gph (hooked to a garden hose).
dried with towels, repeated until the floor was only moderately damp, kept fans and towels on it, dry by morning lol. the house is old and has a vent outside under the area I flooded so there was air both under and over the wet spot.

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
did this once in my bedroom in an old apartment. not 50 gal (thank god) but prob 5, it was enough to have an inch of water in the low end of the floor. next day they just happened by coincidence to be doing ceiling repairs directly under where the spill was on the apartment below us. i was sure i was getting evicted that day, lol

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Can't tell you how many times I've done this.
A few years ago I started using these float valves, that are normally used to fill horse and cattle troughs, they are not fool proof, but when the tank (in my case sumps) get full, the pipes would start to shudder after being restricted by the float, and creat water hammer, giving me enough of a audible warning to shut the tap off. They can be attached to a Python, and the back pressure will usually force it open enough when full, to send make up water into the sink, instead of overflowing the tank.

I got them at farm feed outlets for about $12 each.

These things saved my arsenal a number of times.

Last edited:
Reactions: tarheel96

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
I got a job for the weekends tearing out flooring and this was in one of the homes we did. You can see where the tank sat in the corner. It was carpeted and the owners did everything they could (fans, towels, pulling up the carpet, etc) but it still looked like this.
IMG_0359.JPG

savannah_az

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2010
az
After my big flood of 2016 and replacing the entire living room flooring, I decided to put a a heavy duty tarp in my stand and create a "bowl" and put a 2 inch bulkhead right thru the floor. I figure it will be easier to fix the floor when I move than spend another 5k to fix another flood.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store