tannins

eon aquatics

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2021
are all tannins the same kind?
how do they effect the water and are they good for fish?

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
At the end of this article there's links to research on tannins (humic substances). The article was written by a hobbyist.

If you do a search on fish and humic substances, you can get hits like this

Reactions: eon aquatics

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I believe the amount of tannic acid concentration is more important to some species, more than others, and for some may be more seasonally effective and critical.
A long lived cichlid from a black water river in South America may need them much more, than a rift lake African.
In the rift lakes, or Central American Cenotes, the minerals in those water naturally neutralize some tannic acids.
And more than the fish itself, it may be that in black water, certain bacteria, fungi, and protozoa are hindered, becoming barely present at all, so the fish may not have needed to develop resistance to those things.
So if a fish is then placed in a tank without that tannic safeguard, the fish becomes susceptible (not immune) to the type bacteria present in non-tannic water, and manifests as chronic disease like HITH/HLLE over time.
Oscars, and many other large, long lived cichlids from South American rivers come to mind.
Because my tanks are outside they are subject to falling leaf litter, and soft water rain influences, similar to natural waters here in Panama.
At the start of the dry season when leaves drop considerably more in the tank, and pH drops as lower pH rains replace tap water, tannins build up, at times to a point where I can't see to the back wall.
D7ECA5D9-CC50-4476-9247-7FA058D7EC99_1_201_a.jpeg
As the rains continue (and I do water changes) the tannins are diluted a bit, but not completely, and these tannins also seem to signal breeding season for my Andinoacara, and may help keeping eggs from fungusing.
0466824E-FF9F-4252-B2CD-B15FC0F1041A_1_201_a.jpeg
When living in the US in fall I raked up oak, maple, and magnolia leaves and soaked them in rain barrels to mix with tap water for water changes for species coming from tannin concentrated areas.
So I'm not sure leaf species matters as much as just getting tannins in.
I know killifish breeders that have been use peat moss to achieve the same effect for years.
If I was keeping oscars, angels, or other medium to large South American Amazonian cichlids, adding tannins would be a major priority.

eon aquatics

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2021
my 55 gallon went from orange to yellow water overnight, but the carbon filter pads and activated carbon isnt getting rid of the yellow?
what make aquarium water yellow?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Mud covered rocks can stain water.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Depends on what you are feeding or how much.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store