Tap Water Chemistry, Done?

Roger Mcfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2023
My 125 gallon houses a few CA cichlids. But I use buffers to raise alkalinity, pH and hardness.
Why? Because my water source is soft and acidic with a pH of 7.4.
I've been growing out a chocolate cichlid for a few months with a few Biotodoma cupidos, turquoise severum and my blue acara (not the hybrid) in a 75 gallon.

After thinking non-stop and as much as I love the guys in the CA setup, it's a lot of water to constantly buffer to get right when I do water changes and I keep it consistent but it's costly and crushed coral in the filters won't cut it.

Is it wise to rehome the CA cichlids and move the SA guys into the 125 to where all I need is dechlorinator and tap water?

Friendly opinions please, negative comments keep to yourself.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Constantly messing with your water to tweak parameters is a pita, which you now realise. As mentioned fish can adapt, but it's not ideal, especially if you're anal about providing perfect conditions for them.

It's the main reason why research is key before getting fish. It's way better to get fish that suit your water, rather than mess with it all the time to please them.

But hey, we've all been guilty of that one. In fact, that's not quite correct. What I should have said was, " we've all been guilty of that one, except duanes duanes ". Lol.

Roger Mcfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2023
Constantly messing with your water to tweak parameters is a pita, which you now realise. As mentioned fish can adapt, but it's not ideal, especially if you're anal about providing perfect conditions for them.

It's the main reason why research is key before getting fish. It's way better to get fish that suit your water, rather than mess with it all the time to please them.

But hey, we've all been guilty of that one. In fact, that's not quite correct. What I should have said was, " we've all been guilty of that one, except duanes duanes ". Lol.
I've done it for 2 years from Africans to the centrals. I do have two other 75 gallons where I may just keep the "wet pets" and the other tanks I use tap as a source for my other SA residents.
And your right, to constantly have to pre-mix during a water change especially for a 125 is a, like you said, pita lol. The two 75 gallons aren't bad because the dosage isn't that bad at all.
And trust me the research was done and everything was broken down to science on the pre-mix but gosh dang it lol. Gets expensive. I wish I had water lol

Roger Mcfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2023
Shoot, I even tried the crushed coral route in filters and never really saw any changes.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
pH 7 is neutral; less is acidic, more is alkaline. Hardness is a separate issue.

Maintaining fish that are well-suited to your water makes your life...and that of the fish!...infinitely more pleasant than maintaining water that is well-suited to your fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store