Tap water conditioner

Hunter44

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2020
I have this tap water conditioner, I see it has instructions but want to check how much I use per 10l bucket of tap water? I usually use a small bottle from local pet store 2.5ml per 10l tap water. this came with my tank and seems a waste not to use it. Any help much appreciated
1594465026675.jpeg

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The main ingredient is probably concentrated sodium thiosulfate.
I know this may sound crazy, but if its a liquid a drop or two will do. And in either case 1, 2, or 3 drops will do no harm, you can't really over dose at that tiny amount
But to be sure fill your bucket with tap water use a swimming pool test strip to test for the average residual of chlorine/chloramine in your tap water.

Then add a drop of API conditioner and in a few moments use another of that same type swimming pool test strip to see if its been neutralized. If not, try another bucket or tap water and test with two drops.
These strips can be purchased at most big box home improvement store that sell swimming pool accessories, (Home Depot, Menards, Lowes, in the US, or B and Q in the UK, or Do It Center in Central and South America.

On the test strip above, Chloramine is listed, as Total Chlorine

Reactions: tlindsey

Hunter44

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2020
The main ingredient is probably concentrated sodium thiosulfate.
I know this may sound crazy, but if its a liquid a drop or two will do. And in either case 1, 2, or 3 drops will do no harm, you can't really over dose at that tiny amount
But to be sure fill your bucket with tap water use a swimming pool test strip to test for the average residual of chlorine/chloramine in your tap water.

Then add a drop of API conditioner and in a few moments use another of that same type swimming pool test strip to see if its been neutralized. If not, try another bucket or tap water and test with two drops.
These strips can be purchased at most big box home improvement store that sell swimming pool accessories, (Home Depot, Menards, Lowes, in the US, or B and Q in the UK, or Do It Center in Central and South America.

On the test strip above, Chloramine is listed, as Total Chlorine

That’s great thank you. Maybe that’s why the tank and accessories also came with these little test strips? I did wonder what they are for, a mate did suggest 1-2 drops but I wanted to double check before potentially causing harm to my lovely little rbp’s. thanks again 1594471425568.jpeg

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
That’s great thank you. Maybe that’s why the tank and accessories also came with these little test strips? I did wonder what they are for, a mate did suggest 1-2 drops but I wanted to double check before potentially causing harm to my lovely little rbp’s. thanks again View attachment 1424812
Those strips look perfect, they also appear to have pH and hardness.
With those values, you can judge what kind of fish work well in your type water, and those that might not

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store