Tap water VR filtered water?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
There are umpteen different type systems depending on the components of the water.
Some components remove iron
Some remove calcium and soften water , to make water produce better soap bubble action
Some remove other minerals and may be tailored to a specific mineral with specific media.
some simply remove sediment and nothing else
Some have carbon to reduce taste and odors
It depends on what the constituents in your original water source are.
The source of my water on the island where I live now, is the Pacific ocean, so it is desalinated sea-water, and contains a lot of sediment, so every house on the island uses these type sediment filters.
DDF3B98F-DFF9-4C24-9135-D1E00F5AECB3_1_201_a.jpeg
CB0BF4E8-9080-4C83-848E-7539867E3E75_1_201_a.jpeg
These basically don't effect anything else, the actual filter media is just mechanical, using tightly bound string to trap particulate.
If your system simply softens water, (removing calcium and replacing it with sodium) then for "Rift Lake Africans", you'd be better off using the unfiltered water.
If you keep west African fish from soft waters, their needs are different, and a different approach may be needed.
To make an educated guess, we'd need to see a water parameter analysis sheet, done by an independent source lab ( "not Culligan", or some other company with an interest in selling you a product).
Some people have systems for no other reason than they were sold "a bill of goods", to line someone else's pockets.
I was a chemist/microbiologist at a major cities water supplier, and knew all the natural water components like the back of my hand.
It needed "no" extra treatment beyond what we did, and yet.......people bought additional systems, that in essence did nothing.

Reactions: deeda and tlindsey

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
If you want to check if your filtered water is good, test GH/KH as well. A TDS meter would also help.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store