tapajos 1 with Jaguar ?

LifeT

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
Hi Ladies n Gents , I was after a little guidance, I currently have a single female Crenicichla tapajos 1 juvenile with 3 red fin tin foil barbs and was wondering if a Jaguar cichlid juvenile would work in there with them ? Thanks for reading, Dom.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi Ladies n Gents , I was after a little guidance, I currently have a single female Crenicichla tapajos 1 juvenile with 3 red fin tin foil barbs and was wondering if a Jaguar cichlid juvenile would work in there with them ? Thanks for reading, Dom.

Welcome aboard

What is the size of the aquarium? Most times with just 2 Cichlids one will be harrassed, bullied, or even killed by the dominant Cichlid. I don't have any experience with Pike Cichlids or Jags but experienced members will chime in.
Rocksor Rocksor

Reactions: kno4te

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
What is the size of the aquarium? Most times with just 2 Cichlids one will be harrassed, bullied, or even killed by the dominant Cichlid. I don't have any experience with Pike Cichlids or Jags but experienced members will chime in.
Rocksor Rocksor
I agree the size of the tank would be the most important issue, because the managuense will not stay a juvie for long.
I have kept both cichlids, and beside tank size (or in combination with size), I find trying to keep similar body and mouth shaped predatory cichlids together (and these are both similar), problematic, because they will eventually and instinctually see each other as competitors. If the tank is maybe 300 gallons or more, you may get away with it, because each could stake out separate territories, but under that size, there may be too much overlap.
Here is what I mean

and although the Parachromis above is not managuense, it is a very close cousin, motaguense.
One other consideration may be your water type, the Tapajos is a very low mineral content river, with pH below 7,
and waters that managuense come from , are quite the opposite, with high mineral content (and conductivity), and a pH sometimes above 8

Last edited:
Reactions: kno4te and tlindsey

LifeT

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
Welcome aboard

Rocksor Rocksor
I've got her a 839 litre tank ( bare) less with substrate hides ect , its 7.5ft in length, 2.4ft high and 1.8ft front to back ( that last measurements worries me a little ) I recently removed her from a 6x2x2 mixed mid/south America cichlid tank as she attacked a juvenile tiger oscar (7" ish) who was boss of the tank at the time, she did this over the course of a week , coming out of nowhere like a bullet striking the oscar and then hiding , the oscar would search for her with bad intentions for 5 mins then cool off & forgive her , but after a few incidents like that she went in for the kill , I observed it and was very different to the usual swim by attack , I gave it a minute hoping it would stop but it didnt so I intervened and pulled her out , there was other cichlids in there all roughly the same size,1 jd , 1 eartheater, 1 blood parrot & a senagal bichir, lots of hides with items blocking the view from one hide to the next , she now lives with 3 red tail tinfoil barbs in a temp tank & very happy ( im moving the 6x2x2 into another room) and putting the 7.5ft in its place hopefully this weekend , need a few extra pair of hands to help move them .

Reactions: tlindsey

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Even in a 8foot long tank, and based on the tapajos attacking the oscar, I would expect her to do the same to the jaguar until it it starts to fight back. If the jag ever gets to 75% her length, then I could see it get bold enough to fight back against the pike. Hides aren't going to do much unless the pike can't get into them. When a pike hates a fish, it will hunt them relentlessly, offering barely any breaks.

LifeT

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
Even in a 8foot long tank, and based on the tapajos attacking the oscar, I would expect her to do the same to the jaguar until it it starts to fight back. If the jag ever gets to 75% her length, then I could see it get bold enough to fight back against the pike. Hides aren't going to do much unless the pike can't get into them. When a pike hates a fish, it will hunt them relentlessly, offering barely any breaks.
Yes this is what I'm worried about ,do pike have teeth as I know the jaguar's are well equipped , I dont like tanks where one fish hides most of the time , I think I might keep the pike with the 3 barbs & add maybe 1-2 more barbs and put them in the 7.5ft and move some fish out the 6ft onto other tanks and leave in the 1 tiger oscar, 1 jd, 1 sailfin pleco & 1 eartheater and maybe I leave a synodontis nigrita catfish in there ?

LifeT

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
^ & add the jaguar to the 6x2x2 ? Or do I have an excuse for another tank ?

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
^ & add the jaguar to the 6x2x2 ? Or do I have an excuse for another tank ?
I would get another tank, the tapajos is already happy ?

Pikes don't have the same larger teeth as jags do but they do have fine teeth that can rip the flesh from underneath a fish easily. I've seen it happen in cichlid rivals. Sometimes they will grab the tail of the fish and throw them around if they hate them enough.

LifeT

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
I would get another tank, the tapajos is already happy ?

Pikes don't have the same larger teeth as jags do but they do have fine teeth that can rip the flesh from underneath a fish easily. I've seen it happen in cichlid rivals. Sometimes they will grab the tail of the fish and throw them around if they hate them enough.
Ok so I wont even try it , your right the pike is happy I might just add 1-2 more tin foil barbs to there tank , as I have to empty and move my 6x2x2 to put the 7.5 in its place do you think the pike and 4-5 red fin tin foil barbs would be better suited to a 6x2x2 or a 7.5x1.8x2.3high ?

LifeT

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
Sorry in gallons that would be 180 for the 6ft and 220 for the 7.5ft , I will then try the jaguar in a mixed cichlid group I mentioned earlier in whichever ever tank I dont use for the pike

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store