Tarpon not eating?

spencer0t

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2016
I got a tarpon 2 days ago put him in a pond there are mosquito fish in the pond he may be eating but I have not seen that I have tried to feed him shrimp and worms but he doesn’t want to eat it I’m aware that he’s new and needs to get you used to his environment how Long can the tarpon go without eating and I heard they are not picky but it still hasn’t eaten

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
How bigs the tarpon?
If he's around 6-8 inches he can probably go a week or two without eating.

Being young he may need a place to feel secure such as a driftwood brushpile or a clump of aquatic vegetation, and probably some other fish to feel secure, many young fish swim in schools when young, so adding something like a few mullet or bala sharks may help

Reactions: kno4te

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Would just as it’s still settling in but if it’s small a few weeks without food won’t hurt but after that I’d start to get second thoughts.

spencer0t

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2016
How bigs the tarpon?
If he's around 6-8 inches he can probably go a week or two without eating.

Being young he may need a place to feel secure such as a driftwood brushpile or a clump of aquatic vegetation, and probably some other fish to feel secure, many young fish swim in schools when young, so adding something like a few mullet or bala sharks may help
The pond has a pond lily and papyrus plant also rocks all different sizes at the bottom he tarpon is 5-6 inches but there mosquito fish in the pond he could be eating but I haven’t seen it still not taking the food I’m offering him though

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
The pond has a pond lily and papyrus plant also rocks all different sizes at the bottom he tarpon is 5-6 inches but there mosquito fish in the pond he could be eating but I haven’t seen it still not taking the food I’m offering him though
What are you offering? They usually don't just take pellets off the bat

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
May want to start trying to handfeed platies and such, so you can get him eating other things later

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store