tea cups

gman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2005
new jersey
www.facebook.com
I have a few questions about "tea cup" stingrays.

Are they their own species?

How big do they get?

Are they difficult to keep?

What species are compatible with them?

Is it easy to sex them?

Is it possible to breed them?

If so how easy is it to raise the young and how do you do it?

freshwaterstingrays

Monster Ray Keeper
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2005
Fort Worth, Texas (682)

rvrrays

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2005
Kalamazoo, Michigan
No, they are not a species. They are a small ray. Usually retic., humerosa, orbignyi, histrix, etc.

They can be easily sexed at birth. Males have claspers at the base of the tail...one on each side.

They are compatible with non-aggresive fish that they cannot fit into their mouths.

They do breed in captivity and species like histrix and retic. (magdalenae) can be bred in a 180. I have even heard of motoros being bred in a tank with a 6'x2' footprint.

You should be able to raise them from 4" to sexual maturity in 2-3 years with proper food and water.

They will get to at least 12" in diameter and maybe up to 24"+ depending upon the species. Their are upsides and downsides to all ray species.

My suggestion....do not jump into rays quickly. They take a lot of care, money and work. Do some research. There is great information on this board and others.

Good luck.

Colin

loach43

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Indiana
rvrrays said:
My suggestion....do not jump into rays quickly. They take a lot of care, money and work. Do some research. There is great information on this board and others.
:iagree:
Tea cups probably not a good "first ray" to have in my opinion.

gman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2005
new jersey
www.facebook.com
Thanks all for the advise. After reading your comments and looking at the sticky thread on rays i think i am going to wait on rays. Dont have enough time right now and probably too small of a tank. Cant wait till I do have the time and tank to do it though. :woot:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store