Teacup stingray questions

CaptainAquatics

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2020
Hi! So I plan to move my entire fishroom to a new house (I am trying to move) and something I want to do when that happens is make my 130 gallon tank suitable for a teacup sting ray, however I have some questions about them and just want some feedback on how good my current plan is.

My plan:
I plan to do a “redo” when I move. I will be switching from gravel to sand in the 130 (maybe 2” across the board) and will rehome some of my smaller fish to make room for the stingray. I won’t have that many decorations, just enough for my other fish to feel secure. The total stock of the tank before adding the stingray will be:
- 2 oscars
- 4 feather fin catfish
- 1 tire track eel
- 1 common pleco
Will these fish be ok with a stingray? I would be fine doing extra water changes as well. Filtration for the tank is a 40 gallon sump system. I will be feeding mainly massivore delite pellets (that is also what my catfish eat). Would this all be ok and do you have any suggestions? obviously I would QT before hand, but does this sound like a good plan? Thanks :)

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Here’s a little write up on stingrays that include the one you’re interested in.

CaptainAquatics

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2020
Here’s a little write up on stingrays that include the one you’re interested in.
Thank you!

CaptainAquatics

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2020
I used to keep reticulata. my female got up to 16". My hystrix female only got up to around 13" diameter.
Would oscars be ok with one? Thanks :)

mareshow

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Hi! So I plan to move my entire fishroom to a new house (I am trying to move) and something I want to do when that happens is make my 130 gallon tank suitable for a teacup sting ray, however I have some questions about them and just want some feedback on how good my current plan is.

My plan:
I plan to do a “redo” when I move. I will be switching from gravel to sand in the 130 (maybe 2” across the board) and will rehome some of my smaller fish to make room for the stingray. I won’t have that many decorations, just enough for my other fish to feel secure. The total stock of the tank before adding the stingray will be:
- 2 oscars
- 4 feather fin catfish
- 1 tire track eel
- 1 common pleco
Will these fish be ok with a stingray? I would be fine doing extra water changes as well. Filtration for the tank is a 40 gallon sump system. I will be feeding mainly massivore delite pellets (that is also what my catfish eat). Would this all be ok and do you have any suggestions? obviously I would QT before hand, but does this sound like a good plan? Thanks :)
First off, whats the footprint of your 130 gallon?

next I think you're setting yourself up for failure starting with a reticulated, they are notoriously hard to keep and most only eat live bloodworms or pieces of nightcrawler. If this is your first ray it might be tricky

Third, even if your tank has a suitable footprint I would reconsider some of the tank mates, The pleco may be an issue (search on this forum about it, there's been quite a few threads) but you might be ok, depends on your pleco's, same goes with the oscars. Its possible they'll be aggressive.

and Finally, water quality, stingrays are known for being sensitive to water quality, retics take it a step further. If you're moving anyways I would 100% recommend selling your tank and upgrading to a 180 gallon (72"x24"x24") that 24" wide is a minimum I think for any ray.

CaptainAquatics

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2020
First off, whats the footprint of your 130 gallon?

next I think you're setting yourself up for failure starting with a reticulated, they are notoriously hard to keep and most only eat live bloodworms or pieces of nightcrawler. If this is your first ray it might be tricky

Third, even if your tank has a suitable footprint I would reconsider some of the tank mates, The pleco may be an issue (search on this forum about it, there's been quite a few threads) but you might be ok, depends on your pleco's, same goes with the oscars. Its possible they'll be aggressive.

and Finally, water quality, stingrays are known for being sensitive to water quality, retics take it a step further. If you're moving anyways I would 100% recommend selling your tank and upgrading to a 180 gallon (72"x24"x24") that 24" wide is a minimum I think for any ray.
Hi! Thank you for the reply, the tank footprint is 4’x2’x2’. Sadly I am not able to upgrade at the moment however I would love to! As for water quality I am fully willing to do extra water changes, currently I am changing a 100 gallons a week on that tank, however at the moment that’s not really true. I haven’t felt well so they have been missing water changes but I tested yesterday and the water is ok (0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 60-80 nitrate), not the best but I plan to water change today, but that’s all besides the point. Do you have any advice to get them eating? Thank you!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store