Tearing down tanks with plumbing

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I prefer hard plumbing (pvc) just less to worry about when things go bump in the night. Plus my kids are just terrorists.

Though right about now i wish i didnt feel this way lol

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
I see what you mean, the photos didn't load the first time I saw it.
Might just need to sacrifice a number of the bulkheads, and start from scratch.
I cant remember the size of the hole for the bulk heads but stupid question.... would any of the unions even fit through it ? If they all had them anyway.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I doubt a union will fit thru any drill hole.
I usually just wack off the pipe leaving just enough (a couple inches) of PVC to add a coupling, and lift the tank with plumbing attached, to save the more expensive bits like bulkheads and, unions (is possible).
Of course I always put tanks in a fish room away from discerning, and sensitive eyes to the maze of PVC madness.
So my plumbing was always convoluted and crammed with couplings.

And became one of my reasons for putting sumps off to the side instead of in the restricted spaces under tanks, where I could then dig around doing maintanence freely, instead of needing to be a yoga instructor in order to untangle after a days filter maintenance.
Friends with more aethsetic sense than I, who wanted tanks as an actual display in a family room rather than hidden in the sanctity of a fish cave, put their sumps behind walls, in separate utility rooms, or even a floor below in a basement.
My sense of decorative style tends to be in the most generous of terms, industrial chaos.

Reactions: jaws7777

soupa2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2007
cyn
If those bulkheads fit with no hub couplings then your golden. All my bulkheads are attached my these straps so if I need to do anything with the tank than I won’t be cutting anything part. My drains are 1.5” so a standard 2” no hub couplings fits. You might have to figure out what size you needed to work for your setup.

02BA901D-C3C9-4B0A-A3BA-8ECE3C654A8D.jpeg7CBDBAFA-BB00-4BDB-A68A-6779C5411C9A.jpeg79A38F7C-24BD-4121-BAA2-1AF8EF15524E.jpeg34F387A0-2449-4030-94D5-5342EFDAB71F.png

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Industry: This is a u-siphon in an overflow. It's made from leftovers.
overflow.jpg
I edge-glued the fittings together, except the bottom cap, which laps.

There is a bushing, a short pipe with a little hole glued shut, a T fitting (pointing away in the photo) + other bits of pipe.

But it's just stacked and glued. There's no pipe inside the fittings and no room. The siphon takes most of it, and even then I had to relieve the assembly internally to achieve a proper flow. With a roto-rasp and sandpaper. Some of the PVC is only 1/16" thick at critical restrictions.

I wacked it on the floor a couple times to prove it was strong, and did a leak test. It's been running for years.

Anyhow, my point is that with care you can sometimes avoid a fitting entirely. It's all in the welding.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
If those bulkheads fit with no hub couplings then your golden. All my bulkheads are attached my these straps so if I need to do anything with the tank than I won’t be cutting anything part. My drains are 1.5” so a standard 2” no hub couplings fits. You might have to figure out what size you needed to work for your setup.

View attachment 1372819View attachment 1372820View attachment 1372821View attachment 1372822
Thanks brother. I may use these when i set the tank back up. What the longest yo've had them in use for ?

soupa2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2007
cyn
Using since I brought the acrylic. Since 2015 i been using these straps. I would just go to Home Depot one day to try all the fitting before buying from them. I even brought the bulkheads to HD to check. Last I just filled down the letters where the rubber straps were attached to the fitting of the pvcs. Just in case it leaked. But I do remember I have to tighten the strap where bulkhead meets the first fitting for few days till it stop leaking. Since than I didn’t do anything and without leaks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store