Temp affect of fish?

toehead11183

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2006
Memphis, tn
Does anyone know what exactly happens to a fish kept in higher or lower temp than its supposed to. like keeping coldfish in tropical environment. How does is physically affect the fish?

ziggy2

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
IL
It can and will raise or lower their matabolisum to an unhealthy leaval.

Angel51087

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 14, 2007
UK
lower temps can lower immunity leaving them susceptible to illnesses. Higher temps, if not compensated for, can decrease O2 levels and therefore lead to organ damage.

Gee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2005
San Bernardino, CA
My experience-

I have not used a heater in over a year. I only did this after paying close attention to my heater, seeing how often it came on (almost never), and the ambient temp of my house. Using common sense, I deducted that the very gradual cooling and rising temp in a 55g *shouldn't* have any ill effects. I pay close attention to my fish, and have learned when they are stressed. In the heaterless last year, I have not lost a single one, and they are all thriving.

PS- I live in Socal, where the nightime lows are never below 30. So make sure to take that into account.:)

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
guess;1740280; said:
and matbe cause ick..from temp change
Only if you introduced an unquarantined fish in your main tank carrying ich parasites otherwise it won't happen.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store