temp aquarium - galvanized steel?

philhawk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2006
bellevue, ne
im looking into making a temp aquarium for my ck and i found that the best sized trough that i can get localy would be galvanized steel. my gut says "its a bad idea dont do that" but i was wondering if anyone has any info on the affects of steel in an aquarium (the trough was designed for cattle)

Mr Pleco

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
West
I set up one of those galvanized troughs as an experiment , for a quick down and dirty grow out tank, dumped in a lot 10X the recomended dosage of Aquasafe. turned on the pumps , installed a heater and let it run for a few weeks..then did a partial drain and refilled.The Aquasafe formed like a slime on the inside of the tank, it stated it dextoxed metals, kept Oscars and R/D's in there for a year before we moved. Not ideal but in that situation I didn't encounter a problem. FWIW

philhawk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2006
bellevue, ne
thats alright robbto no big rush on the info,

i would say that galvanized would be a last ditch thing but i would definatly epoxy it if i used it. i cant bring myself to trust (long term) just using chemicals to treat it.

that link that was provided had a farmaster tank that was 300 gal looks like a perfect thing for my situation because . i feel that the 150 rubbermaid is too small. ill have to see if there is a place that orders those in.

Chill-FAN

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Africa E.C
i'm busy building a metal fishtank an will be galvanizing the whole thing as rust protection...oddball i agree that zinc could be a problem because it will keep giving off... butttt zinc is part of our daily nutients requirment and my local galvanizing company ensured me that a galvanized tank is safe for keeping water for human consumption......could it possibly be that its not harmfull to the fish????????? i cant find any solid info on this so this tank i'm building would purly be an experiment of observation and water tests no fish.....yet! I'll be starting a thread on this soon.

which tests would you guys recommend to see if galvanizing is fish safe!!!

philhawk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2006
bellevue, ne
most water conditioning products are designed to remove metals from the water and im sure that zinc would get into the water.
just because it wouldnt be at toxit levels for us and livestock doesnt really provide any indication as to its usefulness as an aquarium.

if galvanized is the way i have to go. im going to epoxy it, if nothing else just to be safe.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store