Temperature for Green Terror (Andinoacara Rivulatus)

HenryT

Feeder Fish
Jun 8, 2019
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
At what temperature do you guys keep your A. Rivulatus? I found that its species profiles in many websites stated its temperature lower than most tropical freshwater fish, which is around 70-78F. I wish to keep Rivulatus but the ambient water temperature here is around 82-84F. The Rivulatus sold here are bred locally, wonder if they are adapted to the temperature here. Would like to hear your opinions.

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
They're found in western Ecuador from the foot of the Andes to the coast. The species is said to be widespread in different bodies of water, from streams and rivers to small pools and ditches. Like most Andinoacara they can probably survive (and even thrive) in a variety of habitats. According to Cichlid Room Companion, temperatures were measured around 77 - 78F at a few locations where they were caught.

84 sounds a bit high. That's the upper range for me, for blackwater fish like U. fernandezyepezi. Green terrors would probably be best in the high 70s to 80 or so. I'm sure they will live at 84, but you may also see heightened aggression due to the increase in metabolic rate caused by the temperature, and it may ultimately have some effect on their overall lifespan if maintained at 84 all the time.

Reactions: HenryT and RD.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Generally agree with Ryan, I've kept them from the mid-70s up to about 80, with no issues at 80. So 81, 82 probably not a big stretch. 84-- I'd hesitate, personally, unless I was able to get some reassurance from Florida breeders on that. Even at that, from the science oriented reading I've done, long term temps at the higher end of what a species can handle can also shorten their natural lifespan, as already mentioned. Doesn't mean you can't keep fish at the warmer end of their temperature range, but it's a consideration.

If your house or fish room is air conditioned, I wouldn't see where you'd have a problem. If not, you can still use evaporation-- open lid (with a screen if needed to keep fish from leaping out), or even a fan over the surface of the tank-- to cool the water. Water evaporation removes 540 calories of heat per gram of water. 10-12 years ago I did a fairly involved post on this on a forum, took the time to run the numbers to make them meaningful for a fish tank. That forum's now defunct so I can't access my post, but when you do the math, it makes a real world difference. How much difference depends on things like ambient air temperature and humidity, water volume and surface area, even wind speed-- so it took some time for me to put it together. Bottom line, though, is it makes a difference and fisheekpers I've known in hot countries, like India (through forums), have used this principle to enable them to keep fish like frontosa in a hot climate without air conditioning.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zanzag and HenryT

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree with Ryan,and Neutrino 84 quite is high, and most bacteria that are pathogenic to fish are most virulent at temps of 82 and above. (so I try to keep a high level of tannins in my tank to combat those bacteria),
Consider the rivers where Andinoacara live, they flow down from the Andes (some snow capped), and especially during rain storms can get quite chilly.
I was in Colombia a while back , wading in a tributary of the Rio Magdalena, and found the rivers even near the coast were much cooler than I expected, you can see the un-comfort..
View attachment 1375841
But since you are in Maylasia, you are at the mercy of your ambient temp.
Here in Panama I have the same problem, and have noticed many fish keepers here run chillers to combat the over heating aspect, I do not. (then again I keep native Panamanian green terrors (A coeruleopunctatus)
I run my pumps at afullsizeoutput_14c4.jpeg
high circulation rate, and try to get constant surface agitation (moving water stays cooler).

Reactions: tlindsey and HenryT
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store