Temporary 40 Breeder Stocking Options S/A / C/A

bkfamus

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2020
Hi, this is my first post here but I've been researching different things here for a while before setting up my first larger S/A / C/A aquariums. I'm a relative newb been in the hobby for about 6 years and currently have 12 S/A dwarf cichlid / tetra blackwater tanks split between 20 Longs and 40 Breeders and one 45. I'm moving in February '21 and plan to downsize my collection of dwarf cichlid tanks and set up 2 200+ Gallon tanks and maybe a 125 - 150. I'd like to have one tank set up for a green terror harem w/ maybe SDs or some oter larger tetra (P Calceus, Flagtail) and larger catfish for fry control (Not interested in breeding). The second will be a S/A Cichlid community w/ 6-8 Geos (Mirabilis), 1-2 Severums maybe some Angels and / or medium sized acaras / Aequidens (or Krobia), larger tetras like Hemiodus and some catfish like pimelodus. The third 125 - 150 would be C/A w/ likely a group of Thoricthys aureum and compatible C/A Cichlids (Could a Veija or Nic work) / dithers and catfish.

I currently have 40 breeder available and got the itch to start my acquiring my future stock. Would it be ok to get a group of juvenile GTs now (1.5"-2"") to keep in a 40 breeder until February. If yes, how many would work and should i try to cull (donate) males out as they become sexable. My 40 Breeder currently has an AC 110 and 70 HOB. Would i need to upgrade and is a weekly 30-40% WC ok? If yes, again, should I add a few pictus to avoid any potential early breeding before February. Any Dithers too or no? A friend at my LFS said i could probably put 8 - 10 juve GTs in the 40 breeder but since I'm a newb at larger cichlids I want to be sure before proceeding.

If it's better to wait until i have the 200 set up is there anything else I can add to the 40 breeder now from my anticipated stock in advance of the upgrade in February or should i just wait? I can source 1 - 1.5" Rotkeils, Thoricthys aureum (Gold although I'd prefer Blue), or 2.5 - 3" Krobia xinguensis 'Rio Xingu'. If any of these would work,, how many what ratio (M/F) and can I add pictus and or dithers? I already have 4 juve Angels in my 45 S/A dwarf cichlid tank.

If none of these ideas seem good, please let me know any other good ideas for the 40 w/ stock that could eventually go into my future 200s or 150.

Appreciate any and all help!

Thanks!

Last edited:

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
FWIW I will give you my experience with Andinoacara.
About a year ago I acquired 15 two - three inch wild caught Andinoacara coerleopumctatus (close cousin, yet smaller cousins to GTs) that were put in a 180 gal tank.
Within a week, to challengers to the largest male, were dead. Sex ratio was about 50/50.
All was calm until this years spawning season, when two males divided the entire space in two, and killed all the other males, and a couple females.
The tank is now calm again, with the two males on each side of the 180, and 4 females allowed free range.
I believe in a 40 breeder if you start with 1" GTs, you have a chance for a while, but it will probably be a short window before territorial issues ramp up.

bkfamus

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2020
FWIW I will give you my experience with Andinoacara.
About a year ago I acquired 15 two - three inch wild caught Andinoacara coerleopumctatus (close cousin, yet smaller cousins to GTs) that were put in a 180 gal tank.
Within a week, to challengers to the largest male, were dead. Sex ratio was about 50/50.
All was calm until this years spawning season, when two males divided the entire space in two, and killed all the other males, and a couple females.
The tank is now calm again, with the two males on each side of the 180, and 4 females allowed free range.
I believe in a 40 breeder if you start with 1" GTs, you have a chance for a while, but it will probably be a short window before territorial issues ramp up.
Thanks much for the feedback.. I'll hold off on the GT then until I move and set up the 200...

Does that advice apply to Thoricthys too..? Should I just hold off on all new purchases of mid to larger cichlids until I move?

Reactions: tlindsey

bkfamus

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2020
You can disregard the last question.. I just saw your response in a post about 40 breeder stock options.. I'll just chill until I move and set up the larger tanks...

Thanks!

Reactions: tlindsey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Thanks much for the feedback.. I'll hold off on the GT then until I move and set up the 200...

Does that advice apply to Thoricthys too..? Should I just hold off on all new purchases of mid to larger cichlids until I move?
If you can get a number of Thorichthys juvies that are small enough for a 40 gal, it might work.
Thorichthys are a shoaling species, and do best in groups of 5 or more, even as adults.
Not saying you couldn't keep just a pair, but if you want to see the natural behavior of the genus in the 200 gal, a group of 5-8 with geographically correct (Mexican) live bearers as dither fish, that would be quite the display.

bkfamus

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2020
If you can get a number of Thorichthys juvies that are small enough for a 40 gal, it might work.
Thorichthys are a shoaling species, and do best in groups of 5 or more, even as adults.
Not saying you couldn't keep just a pair, but if you want to see the natural behavior of the genus in the 200 gal, a group of 5-8 with geographically correct (Mexican) live bearers as dither fish, that would be quite the display.
So I can go w/ 6 1.5" Thoricthys aureum in the 40 for the next 3 months and then upgrade to the 125 - 150? swordtails too (how many?), or should I wait until I upgrade to the bigger tank for the dither fish?

bkfamus

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2020
The other option I was considering was maybe 2-4 laetacara dorsigera and 2-4 Mikrogeophagus altispinosus and some tetras.. Just not sure they're in my long term plans.. maybe I could add them to the eventual 200 s/a cichlid community tank...?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
I would say what to get, would be determined by the type tap water you have.
If its soft, low pH, low conductivity, the South Americans would be a good choice.
If your tap water is harder, more alkaline, high mineral content, then the Mexican cichlids would be a better choice.
Either way, I would try to cram dither fish such as swordtails, or tetras with cichlids in a 40 gal

Reactions: bkfamus

bkfamus

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2020
I would say what to get, would be determined by the type tap water you have.
If its soft, low pH, low conductivity, the South Americans would be a good choice.
If your tap water is harder, more alkaline, high mineral content, then the Mexican cichlids would be a better choice.
Either way, I would try to cram dither fish such as swordtails, or tetras with cichlids in a 40 gal
Got it.. think I'll just go w/ like 4 Mikrogeophagus altispinosus and some tetras for now and hold off on the larger cichlids until i move and set up my larger tanks.. my ph is 6.8 kh 4 gh 11.. the tank formerly housed cacatouides, dicrossus and tetras.. I have driftwood, catappa leaves and alder cones and may try using peat at some point to soften the water.. I really wanted to start getting my future stock to grow out, but think it's probably better to wait for the bigger aquariums first.. Thanks again for the feedback!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store