Testing nitrates?

Peacock_bass

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2018
This sounds like the reason for increased nitrate, as fish grow water changes need to be increased, what works for 4" juvies, is not sufficient for adults, and adding another fish simply increased bio-load.
You may be at a point with P -bass where a 50-60% water change twice per week or more is needed.
With my tanks in the states, with large cichlids, I had to do 30-40%water changes every other day to keep nitrate at my max goal of 5 ppm.
Thank you! Is it possible to change too much water? Like if I do up to 80% water change for the next few days everyday to get the nitrates back down to a safe level. Then once it's down start testing to get a better idea of how much and how often to do more changes as a normal routine.

Reactions: tlindsey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
It is not possible to change too much water, some discus breeders Know change 90% everyday to promote growth and health.
In the heat of summer, because I use old fish water on my garden, I often change 40% every day.
Most fish in nature are in constant water change, because of river or stream flow, rain and metabolic processes of plants in surrounding forests using nitrate and other nutrients.
In the Amazon rain forest P-Bass are under constant water change, at times, maybe 100% every minute.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
An 80% water change is the norm for many of us, even further would be what's referred to as fin level. Though a fin level water change is thwart with potential danger if you have sharp substrate (fish injuring themselves whilst temporarily being stuck at the bottom until you start refilling).

Be aware also that when doing really large water changes make sure the water temperature is very similar to the old water and that you don't forget your water conditioner. Partial water changes are a little more forgiving because you already have a large volume of old water in the tank to mix the new into.

And yes, once you've got your nitrate down to a level you're happy with, be sure to test it everyday for nitrate and make a note how much creep you get. On the day you get a reading where you need to do another water change, then you'll know what your new schedule is.

Onwards from that just check your level every now and again to make sure you're good. Subtle changes in your tank can mean you might have to re-evaluate now and again.

Reactions: tlindsey

Peacock_bass

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2018
More help needed lol. So I have been doing a lot of water changes. I also added another filter to the tank. I got the numbers in the tank all where I want them. But now I have cloudy water. It's been cloudy for a few days and even after a 50% water change it just stays cloudy. Any idea on what's going on now? Thanks for any help!

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
You added another filter? As in took the old one out, or added another filter in addition to your current one?

When you say a lot of water changes, how many's a lot and what volume were you typical changing, and more important, we're you conditioning the new water.

Have you added anymore fish?

It sounds like bacterial bloom from a mini cycle. Messing with your filters and/or doing lots of water changes and not conditioning your water adequately can cause this.

Peacock_bass

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2018
You added another filter? As in took the old one out, or added another filter in addition to your current one?

When you say a lot of water changes, how many's a lot and what volume were you typical changing, and more important, we're you conditioning the new water.

Have you added anymore fish?

It sounds like bacterial bloom from a mini cycle. Messing with your filters and/or doing lots of water changes and not conditioning your water adequately can cause this.
Added another filter. Not taking one out for a new one. I had one aqua top canister. I just added a fluval FX4. I was doing 50-60% once a week but the nitrates were staying high. So I was doing 40-50% every other day to get those numbers down. Every water change I used prime with the new water added for conditioning.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Added another filter. Not taking one out for a new one. I had one aqua top canister. I just added a fluval FX4. I was doing 50-60% once a week but the nitrates were staying high. So I was doing 40-50% every other day to get those numbers down. Every water change I used prime with the new water added for conditioning.
Hmmm, it does sound like you've somehow upset your bio side, i'm not sure how though. Since your original post on 9th August there's been a lot of changes in your tank what with adding a new fish and getting to grips with your elevated nitrate levels by way of larger more frequent water changes.

Have you added any new decor, in particular rocks or new substrate? What is the overall volume of water in your system? A smaller volume of water isn't as forgiving as a large volume when changes in your tank are going on. I don't know how you do your water changes, how you add your prime, or how your filters are set up, is it possible that a flush of untreated water got in your filters?

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Cloudiness (aka bacterial bloom) is a result of higher concentration of organic compundsversus the amount of heterotrophic bacteria in the aquarium system. Adding new fish 2 weeks ago can cause this to happen (higher bioload and/or increased feeding). It doesn't necessarily mean that you will have or have had an ammonia spike. I haven't had this happen (cloudiness) to an establish system that received large water changes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store